DJing

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Fonzijr1964, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

so i read the guide on DJing with mac's and i am still a bid hazy

ca anyone offer me some advice on a cheap DJing set up, preferably i could use with iTunes

PS
    I have been doing sound work live an recorded for a few years

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Tell me what you like to do. Then we can point to software and hardware from there.

3. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i've been venturing into the dj world myself recently. i read the dj guide and you're right, it is abit sketchy. basically, what type of DJing will you want to do?

all i wanted it for was to mix tracks from my mac easily and to add a few affects, but nothing crazy. i already have an audio interface too so that wasn't a requirement. i found the numark total control was the best for me, it comes with traktor le which has enough feature for what.

4. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i basically want to be able to hook up a large collection to a PA system and be abel to preview tracks wile playing another and maybe live fade between them but thats really it

5. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

Try Ableton Live. The LE version isn't too expensive, as far as this kind of software goes, and if you're a student there's an educational discount. Basically you get a soundcard with 2 outputs....

The first output (Channel 1 and 2 which form a single stereo channel) will be hooked up to your sound system. The second channel (3 & 4) will be hooked up to your headphones. Then your master channel will be set to send its audio signal to channel 1/2. So if you have 1 track or 10, they will all send their signals to the master and in turn the sound system. When you are previewing (or as we dj's call it cueing ;)) you basically just tell Ableton to send an individual track's signal directly to channel 3/4 so that you hear it in your headphones and not in the sound system, because it's not going to the master channel. And as far as efx, it's pretty self explanatory if you download the free trial, check out the pdf manual, and play around with it.

You can use it to go beyond mixing and literally mash two songs together at the same time.... like some of mine :D soundcloud.com/coday182

6. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

thanks i will definitely take a look at that

can anyone recommend a sound car (external)

7. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

For external firewire sound card I use Apogee Duet. Note burn in time is really long, but worth it.

As to software, depends on your budget and complexity you might want to search macupdate.com for different options.

9. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i really like traktor can i use it with that? i should just be able to plug it in and run it right?

10. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

The Apogee Duet only has 1 output. So just a 1/2, but no 3/4 for cueing in your headphones. You could set up an aggregate device but that's not very stable and risky if you're playing out live. With Traktor, Ableton, Serato, and basically all the apps you don't necessarily need a mixing board. They have all the EQ's, levels, and EFX inside the programs so you would get a midi controller with knobs and what not to control them. Try a BCR or BCF 2000, or what I use a UC33e. For an inexpesnive soundcard that has 2 outputs, I use a Fast Track Pro

11. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I have their Audio 8 and love it. I can't speak for the other audio interfaces out there. They do have an Audio 4 but I have no idea if it is the same as its older brother.

Yes you can connect a mixer.

12. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

If you simply want tp preview a few tracks and crossfade over . get djay http://www.djay-software.com/download

Its made for Mac and great for mixing digital files,...now if you want to talk Serato/Traktor and the like, no bother...but for uses described go with djay, free demo too ;)

read this skratchworx article about djay http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1166

..actually , you might like that site.........oh and try this guy out too for free online video dj tutorials from basic beginner upwards + mobile dj stuff also etc etc www.djtutor.com

13. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Here is another site to check out.

djtechtools.com

I like skratchworx more though.

14. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

djay is really cool

its has auto transitions which is nice

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......:p

Learn to mix - it will help in the long run

16. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

if u are doing it on a computer scree u dont have two hands so it is kinda nice

but yeah i do know how to mix stuff

I run sound boards al the time i have just never djed

17. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

I'm pretty sure he's talking about beatmatching which is different from transitioning levels and EQ's.

18. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah i know i was just reiterating that i am not a complete n00b to sound and mixers

19. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I was ..

I read the first post again , I hear ya, .........it's just beat matching is a skill worth learning if your getting into dj'in full time, as your prolly aware.

I didn't want to sound condescending or anything like that which is why I put the :p ..but ye learn the beat matching too, very worth it.
    I've dj'ed for about 20 years and engineered for bands here an there .Both are very different although similar....I prefer for dj'in the interaction with people it affords