Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
I'm new to macs and haven't quit figured out what the icon on the desktop is after downloading something..the icon looks like a drive or what ever you call it.

Do you just keep those there or just eject them? Is there a way to DL items and not have that show up there each time?

thanks for helpin a noob :)

PhillStew

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2005
Alabama
After you install a new program, just drag those little mounted disk images to the trash/eject icon! No need to keep them around. :D

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
After you install a new program, just drag those little mounted disk images to the trash/eject icon! No need to keep them around. :D

What he said, but make sure you install before you eject, or if it has no auto installation process move the application to your application folder, and then eject the drive on your desktop.

JonsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Alright thanks!!

Another question..Anyone using any type of track pad protector?

I just bought the moshi protector and I do like it. But i was wondering what if later on i don't want it on, do you think it would be easy to take off w/ out any residue?

I only read one review and unsure if it was a private person or the company but it said it can be removed w/ out residue. but would like to know if anyone has had any experience w/ it.

thanks agian

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I don't use one, as I'm not quite sure what the purpose is. I imagine you can take it off without ill effects, but if it does leave a residue, i'd just take a well wrung-out magic eraser to it.

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
Alright thanks!!

Another question..Anyone using any type of track pad protector?

I just bought the moshi protector and I do like it. But i was wondering what if later on i don't want it on, do you think it would be easy to take off w/ out any residue?

I only read one review and unsure if it was a private person or the company but it said it can be removed w/ out residue. but would like to know if anyone has had any experience w/ it.

thanks agian

Why would you ever need a trackpad protector? What are you worried about? The only thing it is ever going to do is reduce sensitivity.

JonsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
i put one on basically b/c i hate how all the grease from my fingers gets on it. My Mac is new and it was pretty pricey to me so I'm pretty anal about keeping it looking in mint condition.

The Moshi one is pretty nice, I haven't noticed any sensitivity loss. I don't use tap to click but have tried it and even the the protector it works really well.

It wasn't really till after i put it on did I think that if I wanted it off if it would leave a bad residue on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.