DLC Wear On Single Link

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bmustaf, Sep 18, 2015.

1. bmustaf macrumors regular

Seems like the backside of only a single link on my SB Link Bracelet is defective. Only that link, and only the backside. But it is most definitely the DLC wearing off (in an interesting pattern, almost like an acid has eaten at it), this is not a deposit on the DLC. It's down to metal.

AAPL wants the entire band back for the quality program, has sent a complimentary sport band to use while they're swapping out SB Link Bracelets. Pretty great CS experience...while I wished they'd just sent out a replacement SB link bracelet and let me send the other back, I got a free Sport Band of my choice out of it, so being link bracelet-less for a few days is alright I guess, although I never bought a sport band b/c I don't really ever want one, I guess it'll be nice to have on hand in case I need it or want it for some reason...

Had AC+ on the device, not sure if that makes a difference, it's clearly a defective link, so AAPL should theoretically act on replacement with same ease/speed. Regardless, they were great about it.

Untitled.png

2015-09-16 18.14.19-1.jpg

2. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

That's up at the top, where there's usually a bit of a gap. Interesting. Wonder if anything got in under there. You're right - does kinda look like acid. Any reactions on your skin in that area? That doesn't look at all like some of the other pics of DLC coating wearing. Hope they send you your new bracelet soon.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

At least one member has reported the same issue in a similar location. Sounds like a problem with the underlying metal or with some kind of a base coating that was applied before assembly, which caused the DLC coating not to adhere to it. That's most likely the case as it's restricted only to that single link.

4. bmustaf thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! It's actually been ridiculous how long and obtuse this process is now. Have had to un-pair and re-pair the watch twice (to replace a band? Really?) so they could create the shipment for an empty box to ship the band back in, a week later, the empty box to ship said band back in hasn't even been shipped from AAPL.

Really, it's crazy how bad the follow through on this has been....can't even ship an empty box in a week? Wow.