Dlink DIR-636L resets connection every 10 mins

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacManX, Mar 28, 2014.

1. MacManX macrumors member

I have an annoyng problem. My Dlink DIR-636L router resets the internet connection every 10 minutes. :mad:
    I cannot use Skype or watch YouTube clips since the connection "freezes" for a couple of seconds every 10 minutes.
    There is a counter in the STATUS window in the DIR-636L web interface showing Connection Up Time and it goes up to 0 days, 0:09:59 and then back to 0 days, 0:00:01 all the time. VERY annoying!! What do I do? :confused: Please help!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

No, I have just restarted it. I will try resetting and post back later tonight!
    Thanx for the advice! :D

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Make sure you have the latest firmware from here . Is it that it loses the WAN connection or the network drops.

5. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

I have tried resetting the unit to factory settings - and then setting it up again. Same issue.
    Updating firmware does not work. I have 1.01 and the latest version is 1.04
    When trying to upload the 1.04 bin-file, the unit gets stuck on "Downloading" for several minutes until rebooting itself - with 1.01 still in place. :mad:

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Maybe a stupid question for you, but are you using WPA 2 Personal security? You definitely should be as I know WEP, WPA, and WPA/WPA2 is a little shabby and can cause crashes in some routers. Try setting it strictly to WPA2.

7. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

It's set to WPA2 by default.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is your modem a simple modem or a gateway? Can we get a model number?
    The reason why I ask is because it sounds like the router crashes whenever the DHCP lease is up on the modem and it needs a new lease. Is there a way to access the modem's control panel? Also, who is your internet provider?

9. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

The DIR-636L WAN port is connected to an Inteno XG6746-R1 unit, provided by the ISP.
    http://www.intenogroup.com/Portals/.../5/3/Quickguide_XG6746.pdf_20111127145930.pdf
    The ISP is Telia. The XG6746-R1 is connected to a fibre-cable modem and it splits the incoming signal to phone, TV and internet.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its resetting itself, don't you think its maybe defective and you need to get it replaced?

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Either the router is busted or the firmware is garbage. Let's assume the latter to start... You need to get that firmware file, even if it means going to a public computer / friend's house / tethering to get it. Get the file. Then upload it to the router and make sure it updates properly. If you're still having issues afterwards, return it and get a new one. If it's out of warranty, trash it and buy a new one.

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Reviews of that router at Amazon are mixed but there are enough negatives that I'd avoid that model.

The Release Notes for the firmware updates don't mention fixing any connectivity problem like the OP is experiencing.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It does sound like the router is defective, but it is rare that it would reset every ten minutes on the dime! See if you can get into the Inteno with its IP address. It is specific but you should be able to access it with the default username/ password. You are looking for a setting called DHCP Lease.

Out of curiosity, did this start randomly or has it always happened? Also does the whole router drop for everyone at the same time, or just one computer?

If it is one device that drops after 10 mins, then another drops a minute later and starts its 10 minute drop interval, then the NAT function on that router is total garbage. If that is the case increase the lease time for DHCP to like 30 minutes and see if it crashes less often.

14. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input everyone!
    After several fruitless attempts to update the firmware - I gave up an bought a TP-Link C7 Archer. Works like a charm! It's super fast too! No more D-Link on my desk, that's for sure...