DLink DIR-655 vs. Asus AC1200

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adam9c1, Oct 1, 2016.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Hello.
    A family member is running this old DIR-655 router and is complaining about slow speeds in certain part of the house.
    He is on a budget.
    I see Fry's has Asus RT-AC1200 on sale now for $50.

How do the two routers compare?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Between those two... the Asus is the better router by far. The D-Link DIR-655 is a 802.11n speed router from 2007. The Asus is a 802.11ac class router released in 2013. The Asus is a much better router and a steal at $50.

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Fully agree with your take on the two. Only thing is that the OP should have given more info on the house layout and which areas were challenges. The real advantage of the Asus is like nearly all other "ac" routers, they do a better "n" than "n routers."

4. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I'll get more info as far as house size etc. the TV is 80 or so ft from router on same floor.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

That is a good start on info (so we can give you perhaps more specific advice). Is the TV itself WiFi connecting or another device by the TV or...? if so, what is the best WiFi available (802.11n as example).

In my home I have a few devices that can handle WiFi. However, I found when possible, I used a cable connection and gains more consistency on such things as streaming etc. TV, Blue Player, TiVo (2), AVR, Mac Mini, NVidia Shield. I ran a single cable from my router to the entertainment area and then a switch. I consider this vastly superior to all WiFi. But to be fair the NVidia Shield TV does fantastic with WiFi at 80211.ac whether going to Internet or to my NAS.