Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
G'day,

About 6-7 years ago I picked up 2x DLink Power Over Ethernet boxes, so I could extend my ethernet network to another area of my house. Works really well!

I am wanting to add a another location, as the wifi in my room is not great.

I've considered a wifi mesh option, but that'll be $300... so was hoping I may just be able to pick up another POE box for maybe $50?

Will it work that way? Just get another box, connect it to a power socket, and - voila? (Assuming its on the same circuit of course...)

Will it need to be the SAME Dlink Box? I can't even find a picture of the old ones... they are a 4-port box... squashed cylinder shape...

Cheers and thanks

cosmic

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
You might try researching the model of units you already have, the manual should tell if they support 3+ units. I assume you mean power line Ethernet adapters?

I have used TPLink Powerline adapters, all of their models seem to support 3 or more adapters. Basically, one connected to the network\router, and 2+ remote units.

The tech has evolved, newer models like TPLink AV2000 support near 1000mbps speeds over power lines.

You may be able to find used on eBay?

Reactions: cosmichobo

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I got off my lazy ass and dug my way through to one of the boxes, so I could get more info.

It's a DHP-346AV PowerLine AV 4-Port Switch

I found a Dlink article that says all of their PowerLine devices should talk to each other... so first, I'll check that the power outlets in my bedroom are on the same circuit as the one that the POE boxes are already connected to. If not - no point going any further! But if they are - looks like I'll be able to pick up a second hand POE box for about $40.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.