Dlink Wifi issue workaround

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by poke4christ, Apr 16, 2008.

1. poke4christ macrumors member

I have a macbookpro and I'm using a dlink router. Well, from my small amount of research, it seems to be an issue with mac's driver and we are waiting on a fix. Anyway, since I can't use any of the security on it I've been pondering a workaround and I wanted to bounce it off you guys.

What do you think of me first turning off the encryption, then setting up the router for mac address filtering and turning off the SSID Broadcast. Would this be secure enough? It seems a pretty good solution to me, however there would be unencrypted traffic going through the air.

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

You did not mention whether you had the latest firmware loaded in the router. I used an old 614 dlink router with a mbp with wpa encryption. It was not totally reliable but it did work.

I finally got sick of rebooting the dlink router and chucked it for a linksys for $60. Security is worth at least $60.

3. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

On mine, it doesn't work at all. I just get that the security is incompatible. It only works with no security enabled. I haven't installed the latest firmware though, so I'll do that tonight and repost.