.dll files be used?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shakeyhands, Nov 25, 2008.

1. shakeyhands macrumors newbie

hi

can microsoft .dll files be used on mac somehow?

my story is this; i like to check out the latest music on the web. one of the sites i go to lets you download samples of the songs being reviewed etc. however the files are .dll is there anyway to open or convert these files?

i have a mac book running mac osx 10.4.11

-----------------------------------------:D------------------------------------------

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

.dll files are not music files, they are MS Windows program code library files (or something like that). It sounds quite fishy that this site you go to tries to install a DLL file when you click a link to listen to their music. And given that you haven't mentioned the name of the site, I presume that it's not a major site like amazon that you're talking about, in which case it sounds even more fishy. I'd suggest steering clear of an untrustworthy site like that.

3. shakeyhands thread starter macrumors newbie

the site is allmusic.com. im pritty shore its a majorly official site.

i had an idea what .dll are, but is thr any way to use them on :apple:?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

DLL = Windows Dynamic Link Library

The download links look to be something like this one - http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=50:azfixztkldde~R

So the .dll is really just the file on the server delivering the page to you (like eBay use .dll extensions - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll).

On clicking the link in Windows I get Windows Media Player fire up trying to open an .ASF stream.

I imagine you have nothing to play .asf files installed, and that's why you're getting prompted to download the dll, though it won't really do anything after that.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

edesignuk is correct. MacOS X cannot use Windows libraries. However, your problem may be solved if you download and install Flip4Mac.

6. shakeyhands thread starter macrumors newbie

downloaded it. seems to have done something. now when i click the link instead of downloading a .dll file, the link goes to a new page. however the page just stays blank. so im guessing music should be playing at the blank page. its just not. ether way its an improvement.

maybe ill email the site. anymore ideas as to what to do now?

this really has become me wanting to fix this prob purely for the point of it!

thx :D