DLNA TV can be directly connected to a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JonathanU, Jan 20, 2010.

1. JonathanU macrumors member

Hi,

I've found some threads that discuss connecting a Mac to a DLNA TV via a PS3 - but is it possible to do it directly?

I'm thinking of getting the Sony KDL 40 e5500 (I think there are specs here: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-e-series/kdl-40e5500) and would really appreciate any help people could give. It says it's DLNA capable, but I'm thoroughly confused by the mechanics, and more importantly what I need to buy to make this work.

Basically - I'm going to scrap my hi-fi system and play music through the home cinema I'll (eventually) get for the TV. I'd also like the TV to be able to see movies and photos that I've got on my laptop - is this possible or does it need an intermediate bit of hardware or software?

Thanks!

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

DLNA is a name for a set of protocols so you can stream things (music/movies/photos) to your living room devices (ps3/tv). You will basically need a DLNA server or some people call it an av upnp server on your mac (it's just software) and you'll also need to enable upnp on your router.

After that, your DLNA clients (ps3/tv) will see the DLNA server (mac) and you will be able to select movies/photos/music from your mac on your TV or ps3.

So to sum it up:
    To stream movies/music/photos from your Mac to your TV or PS3 you'll need to either buy or find a free DLNA (av upnp) server software.

I'm also not sure what you mean by replacing your hi-fi system.

Anyways, hope this helps.

3. JonathanU thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

Thanks for your reply!

So in principle, I should not need to buy a PS3, as long as I can find av upnp software for the mac...