DLO Surface Shields For iPhone 3G Detailed Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by docprego, Jul 27, 2008.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

I have been trying to find a screen protector that I am happy with since getting my 3G. I tried the Power Support anti glare and crystal versions. The anti glare IMO are awful. If your only objective is to eliminate fingerprints then I guess it accomplishes that. But the degradation in image quality that results is entirely unacceptable. The crystal protectors have no problem with image quality, they appear as if there is not protector on the screen at all, like the name implies they are crystal clear. The down side is that while they reduce fingerprints a bit, the screen is still a mess very often.

What would be incredible is if someone made a protector that offered anti glare properties such as fingerprint reduction and glare reduction but also maintained a reasonable level of clarity. Well my prayers have been answered. Tonight I bought a DLO Jam Case for my iPhone 3G (very nice BTW) and it came with 3 complimentary DLO brand Surface Shields. Looking at the shields sold in a separate package of 5 (for $14.95) the description said that they were anti-glare. I figured since I was getting 3 basically free (the case was only $19.99) why not give them a shot. Upon returning home I went to their web site to read a bit about them. The site again says they are anti-glare but then it also states that they are crystal clear! How culd that be? I set up my clean room (steamed up bathroom)to try installing one. First awesome thing about these is that they come with a plastic film over both sides of the protector and each side is numbered with a tab. So there a little tab on the top labeled 1 and another labeled 2. Of course you remove tab 1 first to expose the static cling side of the protector which will go on the screen and then when you are satisfied with your install you remove tab 2 which takes the protective layer off the front of the protector, genius.

These protectors were even easier to install than the Power Support and those are my gold standard for easy screen protector installation. I got it on with no dust underneath and no bubbles, piece of cake. So how does it look? Well before I turned on my iPhone I noticed a strange pattern in it. It looked like rainbows or something like that, sort of what soap can look like when floating in water. Anyway I turned on the phone and was stunned, I think these look as clear as the Power Support crystal. I get it they must fingerprint like crazy, I tried to smear up the surface with my fingertips. I ould see some light smearing but I was intentionally pressing really hard. When used normally I found that it dramatically reduces fingerprinting and smearing. And BTW the texture or rainbow appearance I was talking about is completely invisible when the phone is on, I have discovered that it is only obvious when holding the phone at certain angles under direct lighting.

One other great thing about these protectors is that they fit the iPhone screen perfectly. The Power Support anti glare was a decent fit but still left some exposed screen edges, the crystal was really cut too small leaving about 1-2 mm exposed. The DLO go right up to the edge of the screen, they are cut just right.

Considering the image quality and the effective smudge reduction, this is a an all star protector. I don't know about long term durability but at $14.95 for 5 shields who really cares. 5 stars out of 5, highly recommended.

2. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Next morning follow up. I used the protector all night last night and all of my comments I made then still apply. I would like to qualify one though, I said " I tried to smear up the surface with my fingertips. I could see some light smearing but I was intentionally pressing really hard. When used normally I found that it dramatically reduces fingerprinting and smearing"

I still stand by the fact that it reduces smearing, however there were smudges on the film after a night of use. Unlike the PS anti-glare which really shows none at all, these do show some (though much reduced compared to PS crystal).

Still highly recommended!

3. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Thanks for the review. I currently have IS on the front and back of two of my iphone 3g's and am thinking of replacing the front screen with something more clear (looking at PS and now possibly this one). My questions are:

Is the shield scratch resistant?

2-does it cover the home button?

4. martinmartin macrumors 6502

do you like this screen better than the crystal support?

5. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

The shield seems very scratch resistant but I have been very careful with it so far. I have cleaned it with a microfiber towel. I did leave it in my pocket all day today and there is not a single blemish.

It does not cover the home button.

6. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I personally do. It seems just as clear when the screen is on but a lot more resistant to smudges. There is a noticeable rainbow like pattern in it when the screen is off but it totally disappears once the screen is on.

7. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Update after 2 days of use: the protector looks as good as new. Fingerprinting has been present but minimal and cleans up super easy. These protectors are simply excellent in every way.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Been using Power Support anti-glare films for six months now (LOVE the fingerprint/smudge resistance, HATE the contrast reduction and texture) but I think I'll give this DLO Surface Shield a go ... Thanks for the review.

9. Ouhei macrumors member

Thanks for the review, I will have to pick these up, I have been looking for exactly this!

I had the PS anti-glare and I LOVED the smudgeproof, but the screen clarity reduction was just too much.

I'll give these a shot.

10. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Let us know what you think of the DLO. I'd like to get some other opinions as well.

11. Ouhei macrumors member

I'm really confused actually. My pack only has the 1 tab which after peeling looks just like the PS anti glare. But i picked at the side with my finger nail and that came off. From what I can tell there's nothing on there. But my screen doesn't smudge up, really much at all.

Under normal usage there are some small smudges but nothing like before putting the film on, and what seemed to be off?

I wonder if its the effect of the static on the screen? God if it's on there still this is the best film ever.

And no, I'm not trying to be funny, I'm really confused here.

12. Meyvn macrumors 6502

It's a great screen protector. It has an incredibly, inCREDIBLY easy to apply without bubbles despite not being a spray-solution based protector, so you can put it on and use it instantly. It's crystal clear (NO different from the actual bare screen when the screen is on, I do notice rainbows when it's off though), yet feels a bit (not a ton IMO) better than the plain screen, and offers some (though also relatively moderate) fingerprint protection.

Honestly, though, it seems like it does a worse job in that regard for me than it does for the OP. My guess is my hands are just more oily than his because I eat less healthy food, but it still does a better job than the bare screen, and is extremely resistant to scratching. It got keyed big time today and I was able to "buff it out" and there was no permanent scratch even on the protector, let alone the screen itself. All in all, I highly recommend this product as well. Who'da thunk that Best Buy would have the best screen protector?

13. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Each film should have a tab you can peel off from both sides, mine were numbered 1 and 2. It will NOT look like the PS anti-glare. It will be much clearer with a sort of a swirly rainbow pattern in it. I think you still have 1 of the protective layers still on there.

14. bimmerchop macrumors regular

Nice review, I'll be going to my local best buy tomorrow morning to pick up some surface shields :D

15. Ouhei macrumors member

Mine don't have the "2" tab, I've emailed DLO about this, I'll see what they say.

16. edlo83 macrumors member

i just bought mine from the local best buy and only came with the "1" tab also. I had PS anti-glare and this product looks the same, it does not have that "rainbow" look when the phone is off.

17. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

OK I think I may know what is going on here. I got my shield in the package included with a DLO Jam Case for iPhone 3G. It came with 3 bonus shields. I assumed these were the same as the ones that come in the 5 pack that can be purchased separately. Is it possible that my shield I am raving about only comes with the DLO Jam case as the 3 free pack ins?

The shield I have reviewed looks NOTHING like PS anti-glare, I have personally used them and hate those.

It's odd though on the package for the DLO Jam case the description of the included 3 shields is the same as on the separate 5 pack, they are even named exactly the same. They even look the same in the photo on the Jam case package and the 5 pack of surface shields package.

18. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

So its not as clear than as the regular PS?

19. edlo83 macrumors member

it's pretty much the same thing as the PS anti-glare, save your $16.

20. edlo83 macrumors member

same thought crossed my mind.

21. Ouhei macrumors member

I thought about this too, might test it by returning mine.

22. edlo83 macrumors member

thought about doing the same thing.

23. ziggnet macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm a new poster, have been monitoring the boards while I waited 12 days for my iPhone.

I didn't want to scratch my phone when I went to eat, so I went to the Best Buy (next door) and saw their meager selection. I chose the DLO Jam Jacket because a) it was a cheap starter cover while I figure out what I really want, b) it was one of the few that wasn't a belt clip, and c) it was $20 and included 3 Surface Shields, which would have cost me $15 while I waited for it to ship.

The case is fine and suits my needs temporarily, but I LOVE the Surface Shields. Very easy to put on, and the fingerprints are marginal (that's why God invented t-shirts - to wipe off phone screens).

I just want to say that I'm thankful for these forums, because it is threads like this that make me a conscious consumer that doesn't waste her money on crap. Thank you to all the posters for helping me find a great screen shield!

24. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Did your included shields have the #1 & #2 tabbed protective film over each side of the protector? This is interesting because mine did and I also got them with the Jam jacket bundle. Others are reporting that the shields do not have #1 & #2, just #1 and that they are sort of cloudy looking. Mine are crystal clear. Interested to hear your experience.

25. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I felt compelled to post another message, I am sitting here writing this post from my iPhone 3G. The screen looks incredibly clear, seriously as if there were no protector on it at all. We need to figure out what is going on here, are the shields that come with the Jam Jacket different from those that come in the 5 pack.

I think I am going to buy the 5 pack tomorrow, full detailed report to follow.

If people would see the shield I am using, PS would have a hard time selling theirs.