Dmg backup files? won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bert01, Jul 12, 2009.

1. bert01 macrumors newbie

Hi, I made a backup of my files to the external hard drive. It took me about an hour or 2 to backup and then it won't open. What gives? My whole backup was on DMG extension and won't open in it is, about 70 gbs in it. Any ideas to recover it or open it? I did it through disk utility.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Did you password protect it?
    When you say it doesn't open, are you getting an error message?

Give as many details as you have and it will help

Can you see the file in Disk Utility?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. bert01 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I did not use a password. Yes I'm getting an error message on my mac. could it be because I back it up from from tiger.
    Yes I can see it through Disk Utility. I thought of something else could it be because I need to do software update and then it can open up the dmg file. I have tried to verify it and and repair it and result was bad through disk utility.

Attached Files:

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Have you tried to verify or repair the disk from Disk Utility?

You may want to delete it and start fresh :eek:

Or you could try Disk Warrior

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. bert01 thread starter macrumors newbie

See if you guys can help me with this. I have done disk warrior yet until later. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1779721

I found this link thread about the same problem that Im having trouble with, so once I drag and type either -mount or sudo command. It tells me to the password and I do it. but what should happen or do next when I press enter. Because I enter and what do i need to open the dmg. Is a windows suppose extract the image or open? Im not use to usig terminals but I followed all that, but what next, leave me clueless. Disk Warrior thought it would help, but it doesn't.

6. bert01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Calling Apple wasn't much help and said either take it to Apple store or two the manufacture. He also said my .Dmg is corrupted. I just realized that my data is lost and something I can't bring back. Like my photos are gone or stuck in a vortex... :(