DMG box keeps popping up!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FloridaStateJen, Aug 17, 2008.

1. FloridaStateJen macrumors newbie

OK, so I just moved to a new state, got a new ISP (Verizon), and downloaded their high speed internet installer program. The installation kept stalling, so I ended up having to call Verizon, and got it set up over the phone.

Since then, every time I open up Firefox, the VerizonWG icon appears on my desktop, and a VerizonWG box pops up before Firefox will open. If I close the box, Firefox will not open. Even if I don't close the box, sometimes Firefox still will not open.

I have "ejected" this volume many, many times, only to have it pop up again the next time I try to start my browser.

I've called Verizon about this, and although we tried several tactics (clearing cookies, ejecting the volume, searching for the file through Finder), they finally told me I needed to call Apple about the problem.

I decided to look here first :D

Please help me! I can't stand this Verizon box anymore!!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well this software is developed by Verizon, not apple. I'd say removing the app and re-installing it.

3. FloridaStateJen thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it's developed by Verizon, which is why I thought it was crappy that Verizon told me I needed to talk to Apple about it.

I don't even need this app anymore... and can't find a way to uninstall it. I guess if that's what I need to do, could some one tell me how to do that?

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

You should be able to drag the application from your applications folder to the trash, and then just empty the trash.

5. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Click on the Apple menu on the top left of your screen and select 'System Preferences' — it should be about the fourth option down. From there, click 'Accounts', which is typically on the bottom left unless you have third party stuff in there, and check the 'Login Items' tab. Is it in there?

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ why would you need to do all that? dont delete the app from the app folder just yet, download app zapper or app delete or trash app. some form of a app uninstaller. then just drag into the app uninstaller and ur done. deleting from the app folder only removes the majority of the app, not the preferences and other fragments.

7. FloridaStateJen thread starter macrumors newbie

BigHungry: I would like to drag it from applications to the trash (as that seems to be the simple fix); however, it's not in my applications folder at all. I can't find anywhere to delete it from, which is my main problem :)

J@ffa: I did what you said, but couldn't locate anything remotely related to my Verizon issue.

SnowLeopard: I would download one of those, but again, there is no trace of Verizon in my app folder.

8. wasanarpon macrumors newbie

Damn DMG

I, too, cannot get rid of the Verizon WG installer. Trashing it, ejecting it, nothing works. It does not pop up using Safari, only Firefox. Someone help! :mad:

Thanks.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That will still not help the problem.

AppZapper and the other uninstall apps must be running when the original app is installed as it logs the other items the app installs to its own "database". If you install AppZapper after an app is installed it won't know a thing about other items installed and will not be able to successfully remove those other items. It does more than look for files with the app name in them which is all it could do if had not monitored the original installation.

That works in Windows since the Application remover software is installed as part of the OS installation, not some undetermined later time like AppZapper, etc. on Macs.

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Have you tried searching for it with Spotlight? Make sure you turn on searching of system files.

11. FloridaStateJen thread starter macrumors newbie

wasanarpon: I'm so glad to know I'm not alone! I think I got it figured out, though... read on

swiftaw: that seemed to work! I wasn't searching in spotlight because I thought Finder would find all the same things. guess not! I seem to be VerizonWG free!

12. wasanarpon macrumors newbie

floridastatejen: ok, i found it in spotlight, but forgive my ignorance, now what?
    i am relatively new to the macworld......appreciate the help...

13. FloridaStateJen thread starter macrumors newbie

I just dragged a box around everything in that box, then clicked the little icon that looks like a gear, then clicked Move to Trash.

that seemed to do it for me! don't forget to empty your trash, too!

14. healimonster macrumors newbie

HI EVERYBODY!
    I am dealing with the same issue you dealt with Jen.

when you removed everything via spotlight was the program installed?

I am not aware of the gear thing that you are talking about?

15. FloridaStateJen thread starter macrumors newbie

Heali,

yes, the program was installed when I was having this problem.

the gear thing I was talking about: click the magnifying glass on the top right of your screen, I typed in Verizon and pressed Enter.

Once you do this, it brings up a dialog box with the search results for the term you searched. In the top of the dialog box there is a circle with little spoke thinks coming off of it. It also looks kind of like a sun, if you want to look at it like that. I clicked that icon and then clicked Move to Trash.

hope this helps!

16. msvt macrumors newbie

Here's how to get rid of that pesky stuff!

When I installed the Verizon DSL line, Verizon installed an extension to Firefox that was reloading the installation software every time I opened a new FF window.

I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with a very helpful Verizon tech support person who helped me figure out what was wrong. He went through all the obvious stuff first--clearing cache, etc.--and none of it worked (as it didn't for others). Then he put me on hold and when he came back, he had the answer. Here it is:

*Go to Tools menu
    *Go to Add-Ons
    *look for a Verizon extension under the Extensions tab
    *Delete the extension
    *Restart Firefox

Result: -much- happier browsing.

I really appreciated Verizon tech support on this one. Their web support is frustrating and useless for a problem like this one, but their live tech support person was really terrific and really wanted to help me solve the problem. He was engaged, not blowing me off. I was very impressed.

17. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

eject the disk image from the desktop or finder.

18. sal001 macrumors newbie

Verizon DMG is annoying

Thanks MSVT, your instructions helped me get rid of this annoying BUG.

Sal

19. evzilla macrumors newbie

evzilla

hooray!

msvt, you fixed my NIGHTMARE. i just want verizon out of my life!
    thank you, thank you, thank you.