.dmg files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macalter, Mar 5, 2011.

1. macalter macrumors newbie

Is there any reason why i should save .dmg files after installing the application. I so is there any application that organizes them.

2. nathanielonfire macrumors member

.dmg files are not necessary for any application to run, but, like all of your important files, it never hurts to have a backup, especially if you want to reinstall a program from scratch or on another computer.

The only problem is that the .dmg may be an outdated version by the time you want to use the file again.

I just save all of my .dmg files in a folder. I don't know of any specific software that organizes just .dmg files, but I suppose any file organization tool would do.

3. macalter thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I just store all the .dmg files in one folder but im gathering so many of them that i cant remember what each one does. I just thought that .dmg manager application would be useful.

4. nathanielonfire macrumors member

I really only save the ones that I might use again, such as apps that I use daily or something like that. I also like to save them if the software is discontinued or hard to find online or something so I don't have to worry about scouring Google looking for it again.

Good luck.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I save the .dmg files on an external HDD in case I need them at some point to reinstall.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I save my .dmgs in a folder. Inside that folder I have sub-folders for Apps, Utilities, Internet, etc. If the .dmg name isn't specific enough, or doesn't contain the version number, I'll make a folder with the software name and version number and put the .dmg in it. Usually I'll keep 2 versions of software .dmgs (at least short term) in case I have to go back to a previous version. For those that think you can always download it again if you need it, most of the time that's true, but sometimes, especially with less popular shareware/donationware/freeware it can hard if not impossible to find a source.

7. dknightd macrumors 6502

I keep a few of them around. In case I want to reinstall, or go back to a previous version. I keep them in a "some installers" folder. Once in a while I'll go back and clean it out. You can rename the .dmg anything you want, so, sometimes I rename them in a way that makes sense to me. I put KEEP in the name of anything I think I should keep. I don't know of a program to organize them for you - and I probably would trust it anyway, sometimes automatic tools are just not as good as a human.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I trash them as soon as I install. I figure that if I ever want to reinstall, I'm going to re-download the latest version

9. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I never save them. Most of the time they are for an application that you can just easily redownload if you ever need to install it again. Saving the dmg files just takes up additional space on the hard drive that I feel is not necessary to waste to save dmgs. As was mentioned before, they are not needed to install the application, and if you keep the dmg you essentially have the application on your computer twice (so almost twice as much hard drive space is taken up; I say "almost" because some dmgs can be compressed).

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

there is a .dmg manager. it's called finder.

I don't backup my .dmg's - I can re-download almost instantly. Why would I save the .dmg to skype? It could be downloaded in less than a minute. Why would I save the .dmg to CS5 - I have the disk.

Kind of seems like a waste to me. If you lose your drive I guess it would help.. but I run time machine and also clone. If you have an external to save .dmg's on - why wouldn't you just back everything up?