dmg Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rfgreen, Aug 23, 2008.

1. rfgreen macrumors member

Over the last few days I have encountered some strange behavior. Every time I try to open a dmg it opens a new finder window with all the files in it instead of just placing a folder on my desktop with the same name as the dmg.

Any clue why this is happening?:(

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's what should be happening. I don't know about the not showing up on the desktop part. Give your computer a restart.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

that's how a dmg works. It is a disk image so when you mount it it's just like you inserted a CD or mounted a network drive. I think you're confusing a dmg with a zip file.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

dmgs will mount on the desktop once download finishes and sometimes pop up a small finder window that tells you to drag the app to the apps folder. heavy apps, like office 08 will have a installer pop up.

5. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

What do you mean? It SHOULDN'T be happening. It Should mount the image on the desktop, and not open it's contents on a separate window.

to give a guess as to what might be happening, you might have a .zip fle confused with a .dmg file, and you might have an outside application set to display the .zip file's contents.
    just a wild guess.