Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuicSilver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Plano Texas
I have downloaded a bootable cd image onto a PC to try and fix my dead iMac g3. The hard drive is new and has no OS. Problem is that this dmg file is not accessible through programs on a PC that I've found to be the only ones to convert such a file. I've tried both MagicISO and dmg2iso, neither one will work. Get errors saying the file is not valid blah blah.

I know the file itself is a good file, so my question is how and maybe even if someone can convert it for me that has a Mac....even if you convert the .dmg file into a .toast file, I can convert that to an ISO.

Please help, this is driving me nuts! :eek:

QuicSilver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Plano Texas
Nope. OS 8.5 I need to get it into 8 to upgrade the firmware to get it to the retail copy of 9.22 i own. Apperently the previous version on this mac was os 8 or older.

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
I can vouch for this guy, he works with me and I told him to jump on here and see if he could get any help. He picked up a retail copy of 9.22 (I've confirmed he purchased it) but he can't install it because he needs to update some drivers in his mac first. In order to update those drivers, he needs to install a previous version, in this case he's got 8.5 as an dmg. He just needs to install it real quick so he can upgrade his drivers and install his purchased copy of 9.22.

Any help with this would be great!

**just going over it in my head, i think i figured out a solution. If i burn the dmg of 8.5 on a disk he should be able to boot into the mac w/ it, update the firmware and then install his 9.22. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.