.dmg in windows/linux

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBH928, Jul 21, 2009.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello
    I just have a simple question

I know .dmg is used to secure information/files on the mac, and it needs a password to open them. I know it does not work on windows, but does that mean that windows can open it? Can it be cracked using windows/linux machine? Or is it extra safe and secure on all operating systems?

2. Queso macrumors G4

A DMG isn't safe on its own. The level of encryption you apply is where the security comes from. Make sure you apply a strong password (long with a good mix of upper & lower case letters with numbers etc.) and use the AES-256 encryption option when creating the DMG. That will be virtually uncrackable for the time being.

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

thanks for your reply

I meant to put an encryption on it, but how will the encryption work in linux/windows environment? Or will it be cracked easily

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

That depends on the level and strength of the encryption that you use, not the DMG. Its thesame as encrypting a normal document or anything else - its not the format of the file, its the type of encryption.

Windows and Linux most likely will not be able to support mounting the DMG encryption or not but the ease of cracking depends on how you encrypted it.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you are worried about security, hire a security professional.

A lot of world leaders use Macs FYI.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The encrypted image shouldn't be any easier to crack outside of OS X, no (i.e. it isn't like a Linux box can just ignore the image's request for a password and open it without one).

However, working with encrypted OS X disk images outside OS X isn't great...

MacDrive lets you open images but I don't think (unless it's a new v. 8 feature) that it supports encryption.

There are ways to open disk images in Linux as well, but again, I'm not sure that they work with encrypted images.

You may want to look at another solution that is cross platform by design, like TrueCrypt...

7. Queso macrumors G4

The encryption algorithm is the same whatever computer it's used on. If it's uncrackable on OSX it won't be cracked on Linux or Windows either.

8. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

thnx for everyone's replies
    I am guessing os x encryption is strong enough but was wondering if it works on windows or linux

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you read the replies?

10. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

yes of course, thanx for everyone's input

I was just stating again why I made this post

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, okay. Good luck, then! Maybe post back what you ended up doing and whether or not it works to your satisfaction, so that if someone else comes on this they have your option.... :)