dmg installation problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by boxu, Sep 16, 2008.

1. boxu macrumors newbie

Hi every one,
    I am a super newbie who just my MacBook Pro last week. I have lots questions
    about the dmg installation process. I found someone asked similar questions on other forum and unluckily I can't see the answers, so I will just steal the questions and put them here:
    Why does the dmg program I installed "appear as a drive to be ejected? Why doesn't this thing just install into my applications folder? Why, when I eject it, do I have to go back to the silly .dmg file and accept the license agreement again just to start Firefox? Should I expect all Mac applications I download to behave this way? Is there any way to install dmg programs so it looks like all the other apps that came with this Mac so I can just drag it to my Dock to click on when I want to run it?"

Thank you!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

DMG = Disk Image

When you get a DMG you double click it to "mount" it. You then copy the files you want out of the mounted dmg to wherever you need.

So with Firefox you double click and mount the dmg, you then copy the Firefox application to your hard drives Applications folder. Then eject the disk image and trash the dmg.

3. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

When you download a .dmg image, it should be in your Downloads folder by default. Double clicking it will then open it and a virtual drive (the white icon that looks like a disc drive) will appear on your desktop.
    Now open up the virtual drive and you should see the application you downloaded.
    Drag the application icon into your Applications folder which appears in the finders sidebar menu.
    Once that is completed, it is now downloaded onto your mac.
    To install it with preferences etc., go to your Application folder and open up the application and follow the steps onscreen to install it.
    Then when you have all that done you can drag the virtual drive to the trashcan (when you do this the trashcan will change to an eject button), and delete the .dmg file from your downloads folder if you want.

b.