DMG Issues in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by i4k20c, Aug 15, 2011.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hello,

I'm transferring information off a Powerbook G4 with Leopard onto a MBP with Lion. For key projects, I like to create DMG's and than work within the PW protected DMG so that the whole project is pw protected & I don't have to worry about individual assigning a pw to each excel file (or others). The sizes of the DMG vary, but are usually 5-10gigs.

I have 2 questions and am wondering what you guys thought the problem might be?

1.) When I transferred the 10 gig DMG from Leopard to Lion, the size magically increases to 10.8 gigs, what gives? In Leopard it shows the size as 10.0 gigs and lion tacks on a extra 800mb, anyone know why this might be happening?

2.) Also, as I said, the DMG's are pw protected. They open fine in the computer with leopard, but when I transferred them to lion, I keep getting authentication fail errors. It is not accepting my pw. :( I am transferring the DMG by use of a NTFS formatted Ext. HD (i have the beta macfuse & free NTFS-3G Driver installed in Lion). Likewise, when I try to open up the DMG from the ext. hdd, it also says "authentication error." When I transfer other files via this ext. HD (though they are not pw protected files, such as Word, pictures, etc.) it works fine.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

this is down to the way file sizes are calculated

in Leopard and earlier a kilobyte was 1024 bytes
    in SL onwards it changed to 1000 bytes (to make it easier)

so file sizes show bigger than they initially did

was based on base 2, now it's base 10

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

heh, wow. I never knew that. :p

is it handled the same way in windows 7?

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

not sure if things have changed in Windows 7, best I could find was this in wikipedia

The Linux kernel uses binary prefixes when booting up.[86][87] However, many Unix-like system utilities like the ls command, use powers of 1024 indicated as KB/MB (customary binary prefixes).
    The Ubuntu OS uses the IEC prefixes for base-2 numbers as of the 10.10 release.[88][89]
    Microsoft Windows reports file sizes and disk device capacities using the customary binary prefixes or, in a "Properties" dialog, using the exact value in bytes.
    Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Apple's Mac OS X reports sizes using SI decimal prefixes (1 MB means 1000000 bytes).[90][91

5. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Weird. Yah I was jw for my own curiosity. I can't seem to find much info but I just ordered a FW800-->FW400 cable and hope it works better. I have a feeling that even though it's showing it's copied over, maybe it didn't? I copied about 3 of these at a time and since the est. time took ~4 hours, I left it alone at night.

Hoping when i transfer over FW directly from comp. to comp..it'll be a little faster and it will work.

6. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c