DMG or RAR for font preservation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BitPusher2600, Oct 21, 2010.

1. BitPusher2600 macrumors newbie

Greets all. My apollogies if this is the incorrect forum, but I have a question on compression options. I have a 9gb library of iTunes music that is both tagged and file-named in Cyrillic. I don't know if it would matter or not how I choose to do this, but I intend on compressing this library of folders and files into a single file for back up purposes, as previous attempts to back up these files, has lead to garbled file names and tags.

So, keeping in mind the total directory size here, would you suggest making the top level folder into a RAR or DMG? Thanks :)
    --BitPusher

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My instinct would be to go for dmg files, because I've never had a problem with them with any font/character/resource fork issues. But I know I'll be using Macs until they stop making them. Still, rar might be a better and more universal archive in the long term.

Copy off a sample folder or handful of files that could be problematic and do a little test, see how things pan out.

3. BitPusher2600 thread starter macrumors newbie

My attitude regarding Mac is the same, so cross platform stuff doesn't apply. DMG will likely be a safe bet. Thank you.