Dmw's ibook re-build thread. Fellow tinkerer's please assist.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dmw2692004, Jul 29, 2008.

1. dmw2692004 macrumors member

I have been lurking around here for a while, and I have been a macbook owner for one year, and let me tell you, what a great year :apple::apple:.

But I have a story. When I first wanted to get a mac(last year around this time) I decided I would pick up a ibook to see what I really thought about apple. So, then i went off to ebay, and won an ibook(who hooo!, or so i thought) when I received it, it was in pieces and missing a few parts, the charger was completely busted ect.. This was some kind of sick joke that this ebay seller decided to play on me :mad:. Never the less, he was reported, and all I did was order a new OEM/Cheapo-ebay charger and a 512 stick of ram. Now on to the pictures..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, my goal is to put it back together, but I need a "list of parts" so i can check off what I have vs. what I need.

So far, my googl'ing as shown me:
    http://www.zathras.de/angelweb/blog-ibook-disassembly.htm

In this thread, I will keep you guys posted on my progress and how far I have gotten with this "project" I need a laptop that I can "toss around" and use for general internet/chatting and music and such, I am willing to spend some money to fix this.. seeing as I only paid 200 for the ibook itself. And it is a g3 with a 40 gig hard drive.

So I ask you all to try and assist me in getting this thing back together, tomorrow I will try and get a full "inventory" of the parts I have and more in depth pictures.

So, my "inventory of parts"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Screen
    -Top shell
    -Keyboard
    -Bottom shell
    -Airport extreme
    -Battery
    -Logic Board
    -512mb stick of ram
    -40gb hard drive

Notes: No power unit, No screws, No aluminum sheilds.

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502

Best to cut your losses and sell the parts one at a time on eBay. You don't even know if the parts that you have are any good.

Since buying parts one at a time will be pricey a better option is to buy a "parts or repair" iBook G3 and merge the two.

One of the best guides is at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G3-12-Inch/50

3. Jabberwocky246 macrumors member

I disagree, I get huge satisfaction putting things back together and making them usable again. Right now I have two white Macbooks with bad logic boards (from spills) that I will be repairing and putting back into use.

saulinpa does have a good point about getting a second iBook. I always have a spare Macbook around that I can use to test individual components. My recommendation would be to get another working iBook to test the parts against and once you have them both working, sell your test machine for what you paid for it (or more if you can get it).

Best of luck.

4. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Cool! I'm not a tinker(er), but I sure do admire those that do! Go for it! :D
    I'm a huge fan of the iBook...

5. dmw2692004 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I plan on Using that guide, and I am watching a "parts or repair ibook G3. I know for a fact that the logic board is good, because i got it to boot and sound out of it when the pmu was working and not fried by the charger that was sent with the ibook.

Thanks, that is the whole point of this, I need something to do and it is relatively cheap to pick up the spare ibook (100-120ish), plus I want to be able to say that I put together a ibook from scratch.

Thanks, Ill be sure to keep you guys posted! :D

6. dmw2692004 thread starter macrumors member

7. Jabberwocky246 macrumors member

Looks like the auction ended, did you get it?