DMZ networking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by poohat1000, Aug 2, 2007.

1. poohat1000 macrumors 6502

poohat1000

Ok here's the issue - I need to set up a DMZ for the wii - but I have no idea how - should the ip that i input for the DMZ on the airport be the same as the one on the draytek router (See diagram)

Thanks guys

[​IMG]

2. poohat1000 thread starter macrumors 6502

poohat1000

3. lostless macrumors 6502

First of all, why would you want the wii on the dmz? There a no online games yet on wii, so nothing is being hosted. All a DMZ is forward all incoming requests to that one device. I doubt anyone is trying to request info from your wii. I see you have an airport? Why you running 2 routers? The airport can be the only router on the network. The problem i see you having now is that the airport wireless network is piggy backing on the main main network. You essentially have 2 networks. On wired, one wireless that cant talk to each other. One way to bypass that is make it all 1 network. If your having the airport assign its own IP addresses to devices, you can set the ip adresses it gives out in the same net work as the other router. Just make sure both don't assign the same addresses. Basically have the main router assign 192.168.1. 3-99 and the airport assign 192.168.1. 100-200. Set the main router as 192.168.1.1 and the airport as 192.168.1.2. Make sure the subnet mask on both is 255.255.255.0. Now all devices will be on the same network and you can assign a DMZ through the main router that will be forwarded through the airport since they are all the same network now.

4. poohat1000 thread starter macrumors 6502

poohat1000

wow cheers - very insightful, going to try that now

(btw - there are online games for wii - mario strikers, lots of people are getting the 86070 error code and the official line of advice from nintendo is to put the wii into a DMZ)

5. lostless macrumors 6502

ah, was unaware that the wii had an online game. LOL. Yes a DMZ will help. Or you could just forward ports that the wii uses too

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Ok having to DHCP servers will not combine the networks you need to disable NAT. In the Internet tab of the airport set it to DHCP (receives its own address by dhcp) then in network you want to turn off Distribute IP address. This will then combine the networks without having two DHCP servers. Also if you just changed the IPs it serves without turning off NAT the same problem would occur. So just disable distributing IPs all together this disables NAT. (atleast on the old extremes) Then you have a single network. After this is done go to your other router and set up the DMZ or port forward the ports you need)

7. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

If the Router supports MAC-Address-Level settings then you can just use the Wii's MAC address to get the Static IP instead of disabling DHCP completely which affects every computer on the network :)

For your router though..
    192.168.0.1 -> Enter Username/Password
    Click "NAT Setup"
    Click "DMZ Host Setup"
    And go from there - i dont have this router, so i could only get that far from a few images i found online (From www.portforward.com ) - it shouldnt be that complicated though :)