DNS and Microsoft Entourage problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Michaelw2608, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Michaelw2608 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro and have been using Microsoft Entourage to automatically connect to and download my e-mail from my college's mail server. All of a sudden my internet got really slow. I began looking around and found that it was probably a DNS issue so I added 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 to my DNS server list and my internet began to work nice and speedy like it use to. The only problem is that whenever I added these I can no longer access my school's mail server. At this point I am completely clueless and really don't want to have to pick between e-mail access and fast internet.

Some things I have tried:

I use my own router so I turned off airport and connected my computer straight into the hardline. No luck.

Tried adding the DNS server of my router to my DNS server list. No luck.

Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Just use one of those addresses as a secondary address and use your schools address as the primary.

3. Michaelw2608 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I am currently doing, but it is still not working. Sorry that I did not clarify that in the above post.

4. Michaelw2608 thread starter macrumors newbie

more information

Just some more information.

My roommate's Dell is having no problems, he is connected to the same network.

My friend's Mac is having problems when connected to my network

My internet works fine when I am connected to a network in a different building

5. Michaelw2608 thread starter macrumors newbie

problem solved

just thought i would let you know that i solved the problem, I just got the DNS address of another server at the school and added it to the list. Thanks