DNS changing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by opusthe2nd, Mar 28, 2011.

1. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Snow Leopard

I set DNS settings for OpenDNS. I never, ever want the DNS to change from that. How do I make this work? Every now and again, maybe on a different wireless network, the DNS will change. I never want the DNS to be anything other than what I set it at.

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

If a location is changing your DNS servers, be glad it is. I've had to suffer through the frustration of trying to figure out why my dual-booting MBP will connect to WiFi through Windows but not OS X at certain locations, only to realize after 20-30 minutes of hair-pulling-out that removing the OpenDNS settings from my OS X side resolves the problem instantly. Some places will let you get away with using OpenDNS. Others are very particular about whose DNS servers you get to use while on their network. If they want you on those servers, use those servers.

3. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Nope, not acceptable. OpenDNS is used for content filtering, which is much needed for this particular client. The way it stands now, everytime it happens I have to log in from here and change it back for him. I want it to stick. OpenDNS has always worked, once I change it back. DNS is DNS, why should it matter who you use. Mind you, if in the end, it is set in the router, I guess you are stuck with it. I dont want anything to change it on the machine itself....without my intervention.

4. r0n1n, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

r0n1n macrumors member

r0n1n

Do you have a dynamic ip address? If you do (or, if you're constantly using different wireless networks), you should be using the openDNS updater.

You can download the openDNS updater here: http://www.opendns.com/support/

Edit.

I just reread you're last post, saying that you don't want anything changing it on the machine. So, ignore the openDNS updater suggestion.

5. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

The updater is on the machine. Every now and again though, for some reason, a network will change the DNS. I dont understand why anything aside from manual intervention, would change the DNS.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

System Preferences > Network > Airport > Advanced > DNS

Try adding a server with the + button.

On my Mac, that lets me override the DNS server that the DHCP server sets.

However, if your client ever visits a network that blocks external DNS (a lot of work networks do that), that's going to prevent the Mac from working on that particular network.

7. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

And thats how I do it. Just now and again, the DNS filter stops working and I have to log in from here and add the DNS IP's again. I would think that nothing should be allowed to change anything within the OS. Now Windows.....thats a different story.

8. r0n1n macrumors member

r0n1n

Well, I'm out of ideas. You might be better off opening a support ticket with OpenDNS.

http://www.opendns.com/support/contact/

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

When you login to reset them, does the DNS screen show your static entry, or a DHCP assigned different one? :confused:

10. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

It shows whatever the network changed it to. Its not a number that I put in.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd wonder if OS X would be smart enough to drop your pre-defined one if that wireless network blocked it (and instead go with the DHCP assigned one), but if you remote in while on that particular network and change it back and it works, I guess it's not blocked. Weird.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

13. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I'd be thrilled if they do have this; I haven't tried it in a while because I've learned where ODNS won't work and manually nuke it before I go there.