Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John J Rambo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Belfast
Hi,

Im having an issue with my email address that I have registered at 123-reg.
I registered my domain with them and set up my email address and it was working fine until I set up hosting with another company and changed the nameservers with 123-reg as per the hosting company.

Now I really dont know much about this side of things but now I cant receive any emails but I can send them.

Any help would be great!!!

John J Rambo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Belfast
I was told this by 123-reg, can anyone offer any advice on how I go about doing this?

"If you are hosting through your current nameservers you will need to provide 123-reg with the IP address of your hosting server, we will then point your domain to your hosting via our DNS pages instead."

Can anyone please shed some light on this as I dont know how to get my email back up and running.

thanks!:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Your new hosting company should be able to help you. Most of the time, e-mail hosting is included with a web hosting package.

If for some reason they don't, I would recommend using Google Mail -- they allow you to use their "gmail" system with your domain name.

rwinslow

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
123 domain pointing options

Hi there, I work with 123.

There are two options to point a domain name to hosting :
- changing the name servers to point away from 123 name servers
- chnaging the A record within 123 to point to your hosting

If you change the name servers, which contain the a record and mx records, then the 123 MX servers (used to handle email) are then not set on the domain, and email does not work. MX exist within name servers.

If you change the A record (check 123 help files, change @ and www) to point to your hosting, then 123 name servers are in use, the mx settings are set to use 123, and only your hosting redirects away.

By the sound of it you changed the name servers right now.

If you want, reply back with your domain name and I can check it out for you.

Richard.

John J Rambo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Belfast
Hi there, I work with 123.

There are two options to point a domain name to hosting :
- changing the name servers to point away from 123 name servers
- chnaging the A record within 123 to point to your hosting

If you change the name servers, which contain the a record and mx records, then the 123 MX servers (used to handle email) are then not set on the domain, and email does not work. MX exist within name servers.

If you change the A record (check 123 help files, change @ and www) to point to your hosting, then 123 name servers are in use, the mx settings are set to use 123, and only your hosting redirects away.

By the sound of it you changed the name servers right now.

If you want, reply back with your domain name and I can check it out for you.

Richard.

thanks so much for your help, its been driving me nuts! my domain name is avenue19nidotcom

thanks again!

So do I reset the nameservers to point to 123 reg and and then change the A record to point to my hosting ip?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.