DNS error when internet sharing with xbox 360

WhtsAGoodUsrnme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
I am having trouble using my ibook g4 as a bridge between my xbox 360 and my wireless router, here is my setup.

Internet---Wireless Router---iBook G4(with airport extreme)---xbox 360 via ethernet

These are the settings I am using:

iBook g4

Internet Sharing from airport to ethernet port

The ethernet port has a static ip of 10.0.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Xbox 360

IP 10.0.0.2

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default router 10.0.0.1

Primary DNS 192.168.0.1 (My Router's IP)

Secondary DNS xx.x.xxx.xx ( a dns server assigned by my ISP)

When I run check the xbox live connection it comes up with

Network(good) Internet(Fail) Xbox Live (Fail)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
DNS = domain name server

You've told it your router's IP, rather than an actual domain name server's address. Try Open DNS': 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

WhtsAGoodUsrnme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
DNS Error

DNS = domain name server

You've told it your router's IP, rather than an actual domain name server's address. Try Open DNS': 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
I just tried that and it didn't work, I also tried the primary and secondary dns on my router config page :(

Thanks anyway

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Here is what I had to do on an old iBook:
*Start Internet Sharing
*Edit /etc/bootpd.plist as root: change reply_threshold_seconds to 0
*Reboot. Yes, you really do have to reboot. Don't start/stop Internet Sharing before rebooting because it will revert your change on you.

Then XBOX 360 connects fine. This is a little quicker than some methods where they set a static connection via XBOX 360 console. If you are interested, that method is here.

WhtsAGoodUsrnme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Here is what I had to do on an old iBook:
*Start Internet Sharing
*Edit /etc/bootpd.plist as root: change reply_threshold_seconds to 0
*Reboot. Yes, you really do have to reboot. Don't start/stop Internet Sharing before rebooting because it will revert your change on you.

Then XBOX 360 connects fine. This is a little quicker than some methods where they set a static connection via XBOX 360 console. If you are interested, that method is here.
Thank you for your help, i started to try the joystiq method and I cannot find the inet ip address.

Could I please have more info on the first method?:)

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Thank you for your help, i started to try the joystiq method and I cannot find the inet ip address.

Could I please have more info on the first method?:)
If you want to do their method, the inet address is found like this
Before you start configuring, open up Terminal (in Applications -> Utilities) and type "ifconfig en0" (zero, not a capital-o). You're looking for the bit that says "inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". In my case, the number I get here is 192.168.2.1 Second, note down the IP address of your wireless router, which in my case is 192.168.0.1
If you want to try it without a static IP address, simply make sure that Internet Sharing is on in system prefs.

In Terminal, edit /etc/bootpd.plist as root. You can do this
Code:
sudo vi /etc/bootpd.plist
Go down and look for reply_threshold_seconds.

Change its value to 0, then write and close the file by entering this:
Code:
:wq
Reboot. Once back up, attach ethernet and it should work. If not, try the joystiq method.