DNS Issues on wordpress site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by stoepid, Jun 5, 2014.

1. stoepid macrumors newbie

Hoping someone can help....

So, i have this wordpress site which i've made myself, been working on it for sometime with no problems, all of a sudden, i wake up and i keep getting "Safari can't connect to server" errors (chrome and firefox too). Turns out its not just me, some people can still access site some others can't. So after spending some time on google, i read a tip telling me to change the DNS in network preferences to 8.8.8.8 and viola i can now access my site. Told the other users to do the same and we can all see the site now. Obviously i can't create a website and then tell the whole world to all go and make the same changes so my question is, why is my site the only one having this problem and what can i do within my site to prevent this from happening to other users?

2. zabbadoo Guest

When did you change the DNS for your site? It can take 24-48 hours for it to fully propagate if you recently changed the DNS.

3. stoepid thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't think i've made any DNS changes ever. I bought the hosting package and domain name together about a month ago and since then all i've touched is the wp-admin.
    The only DNS change i've made has been locally on my computer.
    Sorry, i'm a complete NOOB, i hope i've answered your question right.

4. zabbadoo Guest

Are the people who can't access your site using the same Internet Service Provider you are using? If so, there may be a problem with the ISP DNS servers. If not, it's a mystery to me. Can you contact a support rep at the company providing the Wordpress site for help?

I've had the same problem, but in reverse. The Google DNS servers were glitchy once and I couldn't access any of my sites unless I changed them to something other than Google. But that cleared up within a day and all was fine again.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

This is something you have to ask your web host about. I don't think it's a WordPress issue, otherwise a LOT of sites like CNN would be suffering from it.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

What's your site, if we can access it, it might help diagnosing the issue?