DNS very slow on MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tex-Twil, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I have a Airport Express with a unibody MBP and unibody MB which are both connected via wifi.

Since yesterday, the domain name resolution became painfully slow on the MBP. When I open a new page on Firefox (but Safari too) it takes around 6 seconds to find the IP. "Looking for www.google.com ..." Once the name is found, it works ok.

The problem seems to be related to my MBP cos on my girfriend's MB, everything is very fast.

I tried to reboot, desable/enable airport, reboot the Airport Express but no success.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
    Tex

2. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

HA ! I've just found the problem :)

In my DNS server list, I have 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 (the old IP of my Airport Express). Removing the second one solved the problem :)

Tex

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Good catch. I wonder why OS X did not work that out automatically. It seems there are a lot of routers that are either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Whenever I switch back and forth between routers with differing IPs there remains still only one (the correct) IP entry in my DNS settings.

4. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yes strange. The correct DNS ip was also first in the list.

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

That's very strange indeed, since the second DNS in the list is usually just there for redundancy and only gets used if the primary one is unavailable.