Do 24" display cables fit 13" Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maverick808, Oct 24, 2010.

1. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

2. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

What do you mean do they stretch enough?

Also, THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOO!

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

As the 24" display worked with the old Macbook Air I fail to see how this would even be an issue.

4. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

Because the ports are on both sides, unlike the old model.

5. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I thought this when I first opened the thread, then I actually opened the image. I kinda forgot (like both of you) that the mini-displayport and USB are on the opposite side as the magsafe connector.
    Without having them in my possession and being able to test it, I cannot be certain, but looking at the picture, the 13" MBA will have to probably be sitting VERY close to the screen with the wires provided by apple. There are 3rd party cords out there though which are longer.

6. maverick808 thread starter macrumors 65816

maverick808

Yeah, on the previous MBA only the power port was on the left, with display and USB on right. Now power and USB is on left, and display on right... so now there are different cables going to either side than before (this is the first model where USB and display are on opposite sides), and I'm wondering if it still all fits.

I found an extension cable for the display, and I think I'll just get that because even if it does fit without it, it looks like such a stretch that I'd rather just have the extension to relieve the pressure on the cable and make it easier to plug in...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Displ...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1287914253&sr=8-1

7. mattb79 macrumors member

Man, this is really gonna annoy the guys at HengeDocks!

I mean, if they actually get around to releasing for models other than 13" MBP's.

8. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

The new Macbook Air has more ports than the old one.

On the old machine you had magsafe on the left and displayport and USB on the right.

On the new machine you have magsafe and USB on the left, while on the right you have displayport, an additional USB port, and SD card slot.

Plug the magsafe into the magsafe and use the USB port next to the displayport, just like on the old one.

9. ChaosAngel macrumors member

I can confirm the that the 24" Cinema Display cables fit fine on the 11-inch model (however not as neat). I would assume this is also the case for the 13-inch, although I have not seen it.

Hope this helps.

10. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

On my 24" LED the cables for each individual leg (power, USB, and mini-DP) are just over 11" each. The total width of the 13" MBA is 12.8".

It should fit fine but just will be a little more painful to deal with. I'll let you know in a few days...