Do 3rd party browsers automaticly have acess to the Nitro JavaScript Engine on iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I remember it used to be that all 3rd party browsers like iCab mobile, Mercury, Google Chrome, etc were much slower than Safari since Apple didn't allow them access to the Nitro JavaScript engine.

In iOS 8 Apple apparently changed their stance (see: http://www.cnet.com/news/ios-8-grants-new-power-to-rival-browsers-web-based-apps/) but my question is this:

Do the 3rd party browsers in the App Store have to update their apps to have the Nitro JavaScript engine? Or does anyone on iOS 8 automatically have access to it without even needed to update the apps?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The developers have to update their apps in order to take advantage of WKWebView and henceforth NitroJS.

3. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Thank you yjchua95 :)

Yeah, I figured that was the case. It was nice of you to confirm it so quickly.

Guess I'll email the developer now asking if he updated his browser yet.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No probs.

I'm a dev myself, and as soon as WKWebView could be used, my company updated all our apps to support it.

5. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Most of the 3rd party browsers have not enabled Nitro javascript engine as it renders their own tweaks and features useless. The API is broken. Maybe Apple did it on purpose.