Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirPods owners: Do you find they fit better than regular wired EarPods? Worse? Same?

• AirPods fit me better than EarPods

Votes: 32 62.7%
  • AirPods fit me the same as EarPods

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • AirPods fit me worse than EarPods

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
So EarPods do not fit me that well. Has anyone out there had better luck with the fit of AirPods as opposed to EarPods? Is there any difference in fit for these near identical (minus the cord) earbuds?

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Generally people say they fit the same, but of course we're all different when it comes to ear lobes, so there are going to be people where, due to their thicker stems, the Airpods will fit them better/worse than the Earpods.

If anything, I've heard more of the former when it comes to a change in fit - Airpods fitting better than Earpods, but it's pretty rare I'd think.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I'm curious about this as well. Earpods simply won't stay in my ear.

Would love it if Apple work with Shure or others, and create a W1 version of RMCE-BT1, for example.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
I own both and they feel the same to me. The only thing I would say that can make the Earpods to fall out easier than the Airpods is due to the extra weight of the cable tugging on the Earpods.

Reactions: keisa and MDePew24

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation. I assume those make it a pretty secure fit for you?

Yes. Otherwise, I can’t even just sit on the couch without them falling right out. I haven’t tried working out with them yet, though a lot of people say this makes it so they can. I’ll try it tomorrow, on the treadmill (not out in the street where I might lose one).

kampongkid

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
I own both and they feel the same to me. The only thing I would say that can make the Earpods to fall out easier than the Airpods is due to the extra weight of the cable tugging on the Earpods.
I find this to be accurate. Had issues with EarPods, but AirPods almost never fall out.

Reactions: Breezygirl

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
You just carry them around with you along with the airpods? Is it a hassle to remove them and put them on every time you need the airpods?

Pretty much. It’s not really annoying if I’m just listening to music, because you get so long between charges. it’s more annoying for video conferences, though them not having long life for that would be annoying anyway. I found a little case that fits the case and also a tiny compartment for ear hooks. Made, unsurprisingly, by one of the companies that makes ear hooks.

Anyway, it’s better than the alternative of them falling out. I think I have way less ear cartilage than people who wear them without problems? I actually spent an evening studying pictures of other people wearing EarPods or AirPods and then took pictures of my own ears to try to figure out wtf. The design is so far off from anything that could stay in for me I was having trouble imagining how they work for others. I decided there’s a whole bit of cartilage that other people have that I just don’t have at all.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Why waste such an obscene amount of money on AirPods when Apple’s earphones are meh quality anyway. I just picked up some Anker Bluetooth earphones for £15.99 and they’re great. Paired no trouble at all. Apple accessories are always stupid expensive.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
The case...

Attachments

• A526FF0C-18CD-45EF-86F3-3E3E7AB2FCC9.jpeg
    A526FF0C-18CD-45EF-86F3-3E3E7AB2FCC9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 742

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Why waste such an obscene amount of money on AirPods when Apple’s earphones are meh quality anyway. I just picked up some Anker Bluetooth earphones for £15.99 and they’re great. Paired no trouble at all. Apple accessories are always stupid expensive.
They're not the most expensive Bluetooth earbuds.

As for reasons why, read the many threads covering the Airpods (clearly you haven't already)....

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012

You could say the same thing about it he iphone, ipad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and Mac. Why buy an iPhone when there are android phones for $200?

Apples products are generally priced towards the top of the market and they offer benefits that many people find useful.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
From my comparisons I believe they're pretty much the same. The main difference is the cable. I wasn't a big fan of the EarPods, 90% of the time I only used them for phone calls, cause they were just falling out of my ears no matter what I was doing. The AirPods I use for pretty much everything. From working at my desk, to walking my dog, to running ... and I have yet to have one fall out in the few weeks of usage. Personally I think they fit great.

I had a pair like this. They were incredibly uncomfortable and very cumbersome. Threw them out after a week.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
i wonder how many people who say earpods/airpods fall out arent inserting them correctly. i cant tell you how many hundreds of people ive seen over the years with earpods just barely inserted in their ears improperly, bound to fall out

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
i wonder how many people who say earpods/airpods fall out arent inserting them correctly. i cant tell you how many hundreds of people ive seen over the years with earpods just barely inserted in their ears improperly, bound to fall out
You'll just have to take my word for it, but my ears just do not work with Apple earpods.
I have tried to get them to stay put since they were first released.
Alas.
Some of us just have ears that don't hold on to them.
Sucks to be us, but that's just how it is.
Not a case of inserting them "wrong".

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
You'll just have to take my word for it, but my ears just do not work with Apple earpods.
I have tried to get them to stay put since they were first released.
Alas.
Some of us just have ears that don't hold on to them.
Sucks to be us, but that's just how it is.
Not a case of inserting them "wrong".

for sure, i dont doubt that they legit dont fit a lot of peoples ears, but for every person like that i think theres also a person out there just not inserting them correctly

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
for sure, i dont doubt that they legit dont fit a lot of peoples ears, but for every person like that i think theres also a person out there just not inserting them correctly

I can see how some people may use IEMs incorrectly, but there’s only one way to get the AirPods on. They either fit or they don’t.

Reactions: BoScO999

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
I have a hard time with EarPods. The tissue/cartilage (whatever it is) immediately before the ear canal feels like it has a ton of pressure on it when I'm wearing them. Just a really uncomfortable feeling. They don't fall out, just don't feel good. I miss the old-school cheap Sony headphones that looked like the original Apple headphones, only black and with soft covers allowing them to contour to the ear. Anything know of something like that?

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
You could say the same thing about it he iphone, ipad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and Mac. Why buy an iPhone when there are android phones for $200?

Apples products are generally priced towards the top of the market and they offer benefits that many people find useful.

This is different. Apple’s earphones are generally of poor quality. You can buy earphones with a convenient case for 10% of the price. I have no issue with people who wanna spend that amount on earphones with barely average sound quality but that doesn’t mean I have to understand it or find it value.

You even made the point yourself. You can buy smartphones for close to the price of them. A handheld computer for the price of some wireless earphones.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
This is different. Apple’s earphones are generally of poor quality. You can buy earphones with a convenient case for 10% of the price. I have no issue with people who wanna spend that amount on earphones with barely average sound quality but that doesn’t mean I have to understand it or find it value.

You even made the point yourself. You can buy smartphones for close to the price of them. A handheld computer for the price of some wireless earphones.
You've used Airpods yeah? I ask because it sounds like you're making sweeping statements typically made by people who just have a beef with Apple after defecting years ago.

That, or you've used the highest end headphones for a while & are harsher on ear bud sound quality than most.........for most people, Airpods aren't 'barely average sound quality'. If anything, they'd be on better than average.

Reactions: zipur

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011

Because we “CAN”.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
You've used Airpods yeah? I ask because it sounds like you're making sweeping statements typically made by people who just have a beef with Apple after defecting years ago.

That, or you've used the highest end headphones for a while & are harsher on ear bud sound quality than most.........for most people, Airpods aren't 'barely average sound quality'. If anything, they'd be on better than average.

They’re just wireless EarPods and I’ve used them. Seriously, I don’t know why you guys are so defensive. I never insulted your choice. I just don’t see the value in them myself at that price.

My opinion doesn’t stop you buying them. I’m not acting like those Apple haters who insult anyone who chooses to use an Apple product. I have simply observed that Apple typically overcharge for their accessories. The case is a nifty idea but it’s not like it’s made of titanium or something. Definitely not worth over £100.

Reactions: piremi and BoScO999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.