Do Airports on different networks interfere with each other

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by akchang, Aug 25, 2008.

1. akchang macrumors newbie

I've had loads of problems with my TC and Airport Express over the last week. I finally found out that there is another Airport Express that my laptop picked up on Airport. It's got the generic name still attached. Though I'm wondering what their setup is it should be irrelevent to my question.

Is the other airport causing my connection problems from my MBP and Macbook to my TC network?

If it is causing a problem, how do I keep that Airport Express from being an issue?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. Change the channel that your network it using. You can get MacStumbler to find out what settings the other network uses and pick something on the other side of the spectrum.

TEG

3. akchang thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried changing channels. Using iStumbler I see that people are predominantly on channel 11 or 6. A couple of them are on 1 and 5. What would be a good channel to pick? Right now I'm on 9.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

1, 6, and 11 are the only channels that don't overlap in the spectrum so pick something as far away as possible from the others, if there's lots of neighbors in the higher numbers, go low and vice versa.

you might have to experiment and find what works best.
    also be sure to rank by signal strength when choosing, there may be lots of 11's but if they are all weak, you might want to choose a high number.

just be glad you aren't in my neighborhood top end of Manhattan.
    and i'd get a few more if i let it run.
    The 0 channel at the end is actually my N network

[​IMG]