Do all 17inch anti-glare uMBP's have shockingly bad viewing angles?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kezman, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kezman macrumors newbie

...10 degrees up and the all of the light greys become inverted, a few degrees down and the colours go dark.

The replacement's in the mail but i've got a feeling it's going to be exactly the same. I had the same issues with the samsung panel in the glossy 17inch model, so I thought I'd try the anti-glare version hoping it would be better.

Is it the same for all of the anti-glare models or should I keep holding out until I get a decent panel?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

3. kezman thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know. There isn't an apple store for miles.

4. simonpickard macrumors regular

"Do all 17inch anti-glare uMBP's have shockingly bad viewing angles?!"

No. Mine doesn't.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Isn't that characteristic of the TN film panel found in all laptops?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, viewing angles are a characteristic of the LCD panel, and since the difference between the glossy and matte screens is not the actual LCD panel, there won't be a difference in viewing angles. ;)

Secondly, I've seen the 17" MBP screen, and I didn't think the viewing angles were bad at all. :confused:

7. taphil macrumors regular

With gray colors or the stripes in iTunes' song listings, the narrow vertical viewing angle you describe sounds about right. It's been like that on all the MB/MBP screens and is the nature of TN LCDs. Other colors, on the other hand, don't fade or turn negative until greater angles.