Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I took off iphone 32 GB on contract in mid December. Absolutely no problems with it apart from death grip issue. Used it for few days till I got a chance to compare mine with few of my friend's iphone 4 16 GB ones at a party.

Behold, the screen on mine looked so yellow while theirs were blueish white and noticeably brighter. There after, the only thing I thought when I used my iphone was how yellow it looked.

Booked genius appointment at Westfield, London. Same story, genius brought out new phone for replacement. It was a refurb but its alright. We then tested it and it was even yellower than previous one. So the genius got his manager and the manager brought out a phone from a completely different batch. Shockingly, it was also yellow.

Then I just checked with a lady who was getting her iphone 16 GB replaced next to me. Her replacement unit was perfect white.

The store manager saw that and authorised a brand new (not a refurb) replacement for me to be sent from China. But I still can't be sure if it will be ugly yellow or not.

Just checking if anyone got chance to compare their 32GB models with 16GB ones and noticed what I did.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
Mine did compared to other 32 gigs .. I think it's just a bad batch but not all. I had it swapped and couldn't be more satisfied.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I've had 3 32g iPhone 4's. The first one I had to get swapped out a day or two after launch (dead microphone issue). The third one I got as part of the snafu where you could accidentally order two iPhone 4's on launch day (one from Apple, one from AT&T).

None of the three had a yellow screen. I've since compared mine to a friends 16g version. Mine's just as white, if not whiter, than his is.

Not sure what you are talking about really.....mine's fine.

iAd4m

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2010
My 32GB is fine and white. Even compared with a couple of 16GB I've seen.
So the answer is no.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
We have 2 iPhone 16 GB's and one is nice and white while the other has the yellow tint. I think that if that is the only problem you should just keep it - you may get a phone with other problems. I don't even know if the yellow tint is considered a defect??

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
Just sounds like a bad batch as stated before, I have a 32Gb no yellow and my Wife has a 16GB which looks the same.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I had a July iPhone 4 32GB and recently had it replaced due to SIM issues.

The replacement black box iPhone 4 I received in December has a yellow tint.

NeonGreenHermit

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
UK
My 32GB is crispy white, whilst my wife's 16GB does have an ever so slight yellow tint to it... it doesn't bother her, and isn't that noticeable anyway.

Like it or not, since every man and his dog has to have an iPhone, product quality control has declined in the last few generations. My iP4 is thankfully good, but many of my friends have been through countless. I went through three 3GS' (numerous faults, each repaired or replaced by Apple under warranty), which was almost enough to make me consider a Pre. I cracked out my old 2G iPhone and held it in wonder today: 4 years on, it's still the most reliable phone I've owned, physically. Perfect out of the box and I've dropped it a hundred times since to nothing more than a few scuffs and dents. Now that's industrial engineering.

Sad to say, but I don't think iPhone production quality control will ever be as good as it was.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Refurb 32GB's are definitely having yellow screen problems. Tested at Apple White City, Kingston-Upon-Thames, Regent Street stores :(

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Mine doesn't, although the screen does dim itself sometimes but I think it's more of a SBSettings issue rather than with the phone itself.

davla

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
I bought a 16gb for my wife yesterday from Tesco which has a yellow tint compared to my 32gb. I'm taking it back today to exchange it. One of the selling points on the 4 is the Retina display and the yellow tint is poor quality.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I bought a 16gb for my wife yesterday from Tesco which has a yellow tint compared to my 32gb. I'm taking it back today to exchange it. One of the selling points on the 4 is the Retina display and the yellow tint is poor quality.
I wouldn't say that. Retina display is about the resolution not the calibration.

Most people aren't videophiles and just assume that more yellow = yellow tint = bad but it's much more complicated then that. I haven't seen any iPhone that have perfect color temperature and color balance. Depending on how off from perfect your iPhone is, a yellow tinted iPhone can look better then another non yellow-tinted iphone if said iphone is more green or purple looking.

davla

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
I wouldn't say that. Retina display is about the resolution not the calibration.

Most people aren't videophiles and just assume that more yellow = yellow tint = bad but it's much more complicated then that. I haven't seen any iPhone that have perfect color temperature and color balance. Depending on how off from perfect your iPhone is, a yellow tinted iPhone can look better then another non yellow-tinted iphone if said iphone is more green or purple looking.

Either way, the whites should be white not yellow.

silvrbullet

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I have a week 45 iPhone 32gb and I have no yellow tint. I have compared it to other 16 and 32gb iPhones and they all look nice and bright white.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Either way, the whites should be white not yellow.

you say that as if everyone agrees on what "white" is. To one person a color can be white, to another it would be yellow-tinted. To another person a color can be white and to another it would be blue-tinted.

Color%20Temp%20Chart.jpg

davla

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
you say that as if everyone agrees on what "white" is. To one person a color can be white, to another it would be yellow-tinted. To another person a color can be white and to another it would be blue-tinted.

Color%20Temp%20Chart.jpg

I just exchanged it and the replacement one has a yellow tint too. We compared it to 3 other iphone 4s in the shop; my old 32gb and two shop assistants iphones and the replacement is definitely yellow; we all agreed. It must be a dodgy batch. Not sure what to do now, whether to take it to the Apple store or just get a refund.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

Color%20Temp%20Chart.jpg
So you're saying all these reports of yellow tints are not valid? Or are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?

Yeah, yeah, colors change their appearance based on what colors they're next to, but most people know yellow when they see it. Especially if you compare it to an identical 'white' screen. I damn well would be standing in line for a replacement too.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
My wife's is "yellow" and is a 16GB... mine is "white" or as I see it "blue" and is a 32GB. I prefer her screen. :)

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010

Color%20Temp%20Chart.jpg

The graph you put is of no help to me. The difference between color calibration on yellow screens is so small, yet so big when compared across various iphones. Just waiting for my new iphone. We'll see how it turns up. Hope they have not switched to different LCD manufacturer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.