Do all 4k and 5k screens have fans in them

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Acorn, May 3, 2017.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I was looking at a 4k monitor and there was some complaints about fan noise. I was curious if all 4k and 5k screens had a fan or does it vary by manufacturer.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Which 4k monitors have fans in them?
    Names, please.

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

4. dyn, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017

dyn macrumors 68030

That is not a screen but an all-in-one computer or tablet (depends on how you look at it) with an Intel Core processor in it. You can't use that kind of processor without a fan.

5. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

No it's not. Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 has no processor in it. The Mobile Studio Pro 16 has a processor in it. Its two totally different products.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Ordinary (non-touch) 4k displays don't have fans.
    At least I've never heard of such...

7. dyn macrumors 68030

Then why aren't you using the correct naming then? ;)

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

you can't compare a wacom screen, processor or no processor to a regular display. no other regular displays have fans in them.

9. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Except the UltraFine 5K, which has a fan... although I guess that isn't exactly a regular display.

10. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

The only person that mentioned "regular display" was outrigger. I know regular displays don't have fans. It was the 4k and 5k I was asking about.

11. dyn macrumors 68030

You are all over the place with the terminology which makes it very difficult to understand what you are meaning and thus give a proper answer to your question.

As stated above all regular 4k displays do not come with a fan. There aren't any regular 5k displays because the current models all require some tricks (such as 2 DisplayPort connections) to work. The 5k display from LG is not a regular display as it is a Thunderbolt 3 display sporting USB, webcam, speakers, etc. which is also capable of charging the 15" MBP at 87W (none of the others do). No review speaks of a fan in this display though (although it wouldn't surprise me if it had any considering its features, especially the in-built 87W charger).

If you want an example of a 4k display then look around in the accessory subforum here, there are quite some threads for several 4k displays.