Do all 802.11n wireless routers work fine with MBPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nerveosu, Jan 8, 2008.

1. nerveosu macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro with the 802.11n airport card. I want an n router to get a better signal across the floors of my home. I am considering getting something other than an Airport Extreme 802.11n base station.

Because n is a draft specification.. will all the n routers out there still be fully compatible with my MacBook Pro's card?

What 3rd party routers seem to work best?

2. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I'm using a Linksys router which isn't the n range and it works absolutely fine for me, I get full range mostly anywhere in my home.

3. nerveosu thread starter macrumors member

Yeah.. I have a 3 story townhome with my office/cable modem on the top floor. My signal is strong on the lowest floor but I think I am dropping a bunch of packets with my airport extreme g because it takes a while to load web pages down there. So I want to go with n to see if I can get a clean connection down there. I have changed my channel and repositioned my base station too.

So do 3rd pary n routers work fine with apple airport extreme n cards?

4. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

It will. Wireless routers and wired routers use standard protocols. This allows anything following the standards to be compatible.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Most routers should work, but remember that 802.11n is a draft version. If a router is using a different draft of 802.11n, it might not be compatible.

6. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

My purely anecdotal experience suggests that Netgear routers should be avoided (annoyingly difficult for my MBP that was running Tiger at the time) to connect) -- cannot remember the model number. However I've been running this D-Link n router with zero issues (well, discounting Leopard ones). DIR-615.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc