do all aluminium macbooks have adaptive charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by morrisman1, Jan 6, 2009.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

ive noticed after going from a white plastic 2.2Ghz macbook to a 2.0Ghz aluminium macbook that the aluminium one takes a lot longer to finish the charge. the 17"er is advertising a charging system that varys the current in relation to the battery condition so i was wondering if all aluminium models have adopted this to prolong the battery condition.

when charging the white one used to leap right up to 100% in a matter of two hours from dead flat, the aluminium one leaps up to 50% then from 50% to about 85% its a bit slower then from 90% to 100% its quite slow, like 45mins to do the last 10% type of slow.

im at 94% and charging at a rate of 390mAh.

do you think that apple have adpoted a more intelligent charging system into the aluminium 13" and 15" macbooks? there could possibly be a different system in the 17" which further improves the battery lifetime, i would have thought they would advertise it if the 13" and 15" macbooks could do a 1000 cycle lifetime.

2. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

doubt it.
    because the battery technology is different. and there is hardware needed to make it happen.

3. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

No, if they did Apple would have bragged about it when they released the unibodies, not with the release of the 17" MBP.

5. svndmvn Guest

yup. The battery in the other 2 Unibodies has gotten smaller compared to the earlier models and are user replaceable. The 17", as explained at the keynote, has more battery and less mechanisms.
    I believe the other 2 macs also have an optimized recharging system but not as good as the new 17".

6. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so it would seem as though theres three different systems, the non optimised system in old macbooks, then the semi optimised system in the first unibodies then the the fully optimised one in the 17"er.

i would like to know how the 17"er charges, like is it a slow charge like on the first unibodies or is it faster by using better processes while still extending battery lifespan

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

noone can really tell you that until they are released in 3/4 weeks

8. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i gathered that

9. driftnut56 macrumors newbie

I think that they put a software based monitor only while the 17" actually has hardware dedicated to the task of maintaining proper charging practice.