ericg301

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Considering they were showing the aluminum models and saying "crystal" versus "glass" has me hopeful.

they would be screaming it from the apple park rooftop if it were true, "now all watches have scratch proof sapphire glass!" but they didn't. so they probably dont.

but most of my other predictions today were wrong so who knows.

Comment

techno-Zen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
they would be screaming it from the apple park rooftop if it were true, "now all watches have scratch proof sapphire glass!" but they didn't. so they probably dont.

but most of my other predictions today were wrong so who knows.
They've never at any point described ion-x glass as crystal.

The guy falling off the bike was wearing an aluminum version watch, while talking about the "crystal" They've also never called it sapphire glass btw.

Comment

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
They've never at any point described ion-x glass as crystal.

The guy falling off the bike was wearing an aluminum version watch, while talking about the "crystal" They've also never called it sapphire glass btw.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched. If they are not all crystal, they were pretty shady in their presentation.

Reactions: beerglass007
Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Considering they were showing the aluminum models and saying "crystal" versus "glass" has me hopeful.

The front of a watch is frequently referred to as the "crystal".

We won't know until the specs are published - and maybe not then since Apple's messed that up before - but I personally wouldn't be hopeful on this as you're (IMHO) far more likely to be disappointed. Something like sapphire would likely have been touted as "we've never offered this before on the aluminum watches, aren't we special!!!"

Better to expect ionx glass and then perhaps be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
or "crystal" refers to some new material replacing ion-x but not sapphire ... guess we'll have to wait til Apple publishes the specs, or someone from Apple talks about it, whichever comes first

Reactions: webbuzz
Comment

techno-Zen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I was thinking the same thing when I watched. If they are not all crystal, they were pretty shady in their presentation.
I really like the finish on the aluminum and don't care about aluminum body scratches so much as on the display so i'm really hoping this is true. Midnight Aluminum has my name on it if this is the case
The front of a watch is frequently referred to as the "crystal".

We won't know until the specs are published - and maybe not then since Apple's messed that up before - but I personally wouldn't be hopeful on this as you're (IMHO) far more likely to be disappointed. Something like sapphire would likely have been touted as "we've never offered this before on the aluminum watches, aren't we special!!!"

Better to expect ionx glass and then perhaps be pleasantly surprised.
Oh my expectations are low, it is apple.. upsell galore.

Comment

sarc

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2016
They say "These same innovations also helped make the most crack resistant front crystal yet" for the S7.

This is what they said about the S6 "Aluminum models have Ion-X glass displays. Stainless steel and titanium models have sapphire crystal displays."

Reactions: webbuzz
Comment

Sital

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2012
New England
My initial thought when I watched the event was that all the watches are going to have the same crystal (not sapphire) regardless of metal. I haven't seen anything official that makes me change my mind yet.

But I agree with a comment above, that the argument against that is that it would cannibalize sales from SS and Ti.

Comment

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2019
Go to the AR models of the aluminum watches and you’ll see it says Ion-X Glass, like always. They will never never give the Sapphire to the regular watches. That is almost the entire other reason to upgrade besides the nice finishes.

Reactions: deeddawg
Comment

techno-Zen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Go to the AR models of the aluminum watches and you’ll see it says Ion-X Glass, like always. They will never never give the Sapphire to the regular watches. That is almost the entire other reason to upgrade besides the nice finishes.
That's some pretty misleading advertising then in Apple's case. They mentioned the new crystal when the guy was wearing an aluminum model.

Oh well, Guess i'm going back to Stainless steel Silver

• Angry
Reactions: MrMacintoshIII
Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
That's some pretty misleading advertising then in Apple's case. They mentioned the new crystal when the guy was wearing an aluminum model.

Oh well, Guess i'm going back to Stainless steel Silver

How so? You're the one making the assumption that the reference to the watch crystal implies it's sapphire rather than the conventional meaning of the clear covering over the watch face. c.f. acrylic crystal, mineral crystal, Hardex crystal

Comment

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2019
How so? You're the one making the assumption that the reference to the watch crystal implies it's sapphire rather than the conventional meaning of the clear covering over the watch face. c.f. acrylic crystal, mineral crystal, Hardex crystal

Just quoting for extreme emphasis.

Rather than jump at accusations why not do some research and realize this is a term the watch industry has been using forever.

Your lack of knowledge upsets you, so you accuse others of lies…?

Comment

techno-Zen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ

I don't know what you're trying to get at here. apple uses the term ion-x glass for those models. Crystal is definitely more marketable so why not call it ion-x crystal?

Do i really need to be a scientist? wow lol

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
I don't know what you're trying to get at here. apple uses the term ion-x glass for those models. Crystal is definitely more marketable so why not call it ion-x crystal?

Do i really need to be a scientist? wow lol

You made an accusation of misleading marketing based on them using a common term in a way you didn't understand.

No need to be a scientist to avoid making false accusations, particularly when you'd already been told of the terminology.

Comment

techno-Zen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
You made an accusation of misleading marketing based on them using a common term in a way you didn't understand.

No need to be a scientist to avoid making false accusations, particularly when you'd already been told of the terminology.
You win.. happy now? i'm just going to be annoyed for a few minutes and then start my count down to preordering another titanium model. lol

Reactions: nospleen
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.