Do all ATT SIM cards work on any Iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tangytangojuice, Nov 21, 2011.

1. tangytangojuice macrumors newbie

So, i bought an iPhone 4 from a guy on ebay, but it is still a locked iphone. I accidentally upgraded it to 4.3.5 so my baseband turned to 04.11.01, which is not unlockable by ultrasn0w. But, my friend was able to jailbreak it in a way, where it is kind of jailbroken, but i do not have cydia, but I am able to just put in my ATT GoPhone Sim card, and it works. Do all Att SIM cards just work if you put it in an iphone 4? Could I upgrade my phone onto ios 5, from itunes and just put in my sim card and works?

Thanks.

2. gh0001 macrumors member

you don't need to unlock the phone if you just want to use it on AT&T (assuming it is an AT&T iphone to begin with). you only need to unlock it if you want to use it on, say, T-mobile, or a foreign operator.

for the same reason, you should be able to just upgrade to iphone 5 and use it on AT&T.

3. tangytangojuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

But I have a goPhone sim card, not a sim card for the regular post paid att plans. Will it still activate?

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes. An AT&T sim is an AT&T sim regardless if it is pre-paid or not.

5. tangytangojuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

So during the iOS 5 activation I just leave my sim card in and activate it.