Do all ISPs work under Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doxavita, May 12, 2011.

1. doxavita, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

doxavita macrumors 6502a

Do all Internet Service Providers work under Mac? (OS X)

I know for a fact my uncle uses DSL and has to install some software in his Windows PC every time he formats his system. (in Mexico City) edit: To actually USE the internet at all.

Is this choice up to the ISP? Does their software have to be OS X compatible to have internet access in a Mac? I was thinking of getting a nice fast reliable provider, but do I also have to check if they support OS X? Is their software for installing their modem or is it for tracking purposes? Anything special (when getting the internet service set up) that's different in a Mac from a regular PC?

Thanks.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, all ISPs will work with a Mac. They may include some software, but that software is not necessary to use the connection. It generally provides other features like data tracking, email, etc.

ISPs provide internet access, which is not relegated to any software platform.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What more do you want to know?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

???

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes, all ISP's will work with OS X. They're not OS dependant.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Pretty much all ISP's. The only situation I could imagine would be some ISP that requires a specific modem. For example, cable providers in the UK (there's only about 2 of them) require a specific modem. The modem connects via RJ45 and can be plugged into a router, so works on Mac, but if some cable provider in some country required a specific modem and was a USB modem that only had Windows drivers..

I remember in about 2004 I signed up with a UK ISP called Homecall (now Pipex), they gave me a USB modem and I don't recall there being any Mac drivers or Linux drivers. Obviously it was ADSL, so I just picked up a new router and it worked fine.

I doubt many ISP's would still provide a USB modem, most will offer a router or at the very least a modem that connects via ethernet.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Is my forthright answer not good enough?

Yes, it will work. There's nothing else to say...

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, your answer is perfect, thanks! :) Just wondering if anybody else used software provided by their ISP.