Do ALL MacBook Pros have the annoying CPU-whine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 21755, Apr 29, 2010.

1. 21755 macrumors newbie

I know this topic has been discussed at length in other threads, but I've not found an answer to this particular question.

Bought an MBP in February, and it had the famous CPU-whine. It was so loud that it was truly annoying. I took the computer to an Apple service provider and they changed the Logic Board. The sound has changed from being less of a whine to more of a 'crackling' however it still there.

Speaking to the technician though, I got the impression that ALL MBPs have this sound, albeit in some (perhaps most) it is so low that it's not much of a problem, and in others it's really loud.

Is this your impression as well?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

High-frequency CPU's whine, crackle and sizzle, that's what they do!

You think you have it bad? Try my AMD Compaq from 2006. Sounds like there's bacon on the griddle.

Funny enough, some CPU's "moo." Hahaha.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hmm... Apple didn't send me any wine when I bought my MBP. Maybe that's because I'm a cheapskate and only bought the entry level model.

Seriously, mines quite except for the fan's whisper.

4. ssdar macrumors member

My 2.8 Ghz MBP cpu doesn't make a sound.
    @ chupachupa If apple would ship there products with a case of this fine french Bandol rose it would be greatly appreciated by me :D [​IMG]

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

Interesting I've heard heard one whine, mind definitely doesn't. I can always hear those noises too.

6. andyone macrumors member

My early 2008 15" MBP doesn't. My old Powerbook 1.33 is whining horribly, though...

7. Pax macrumors 6502a

No whine on my late 2009 13" Core2Duo. If I put my ear right against it I can hear the fan, but only just barely.

My old 2006 MacBook doesn't whine either, though I believe there was a common problem with whining CPUs around that time.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Have it on my Core Duo... however, it's rarely idle so it doesn't bother me.