Do all MBP 2011 Have heat issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dman91, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Dman91 macrumors member

Hello Guys

How is everyone doing?

I have bought a MBP 2011 15 inch 2.2 ghz i7 quad core , I live outsite the US and asked my aunt who lives there to buy it for me. But I saw alot of people complaining about having heat issues and system frizzing specially when they run games or video edit.

I was wondering
    1) Does that probelm exits or is it just some people who want to make a big deal out of it?
    2) If it exits , do all the macbooks 2011 have that issue? or there were just a few unlucky ppl?

3) Would runing Skype video call and maybe playing some youtube videos be enough to see if my macbook pro has that issue before she shipps it to me? coz if it has that problem I'd return it now coz posting it back to the states and getting a new one shipped agoan would cost alot of money

Many Thanks in advance :) and apogize my bad englsih

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most MBPs do not overheat. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If someone constantly putting high demands on a system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just the Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

The fans are always on when a Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

There is not an overheating problem with Mac portables. There is only a perceived overheating problem. That's partly due to the fact that the aluminum casing transfers heat better than some other notebook materials, so they may feel hotter to the touch than notebooks made of other materials. It may even become hot enough to be uncomfortable to rest on your lap. This, too, is normal. Because a user is unfamiliar with the heat normally generated by a Mac portable doesn't mean there's a problem with the Mac. Only on rare occasions is there a defect that causes true overheating.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I game on mine all the time, as well as do video encoding in Handbrake and it never overheats. The highest I've seen it get is 90*C, which is normal for these components (my i7 based HP Envy 17 would get to 95-97*C anytime I encoded video). I also reapplied better thermal paste when I first got it, so that may have helped dissipate the heat better.

4. TomLopez macrumors newbie

I have same model than yours with 128Go SSD and I haven't any heat issue at all.

Currently I'm watching the Federer-Youzhny tennis match live from Wimbledon (so flash plugin used) and temps stayed just below 50°C (and it is 35° outside/26° indoor). Same as awer25, it barely exceeds 90°, in fact only during video encoding before the fans lower the temperature to a stable 85°.

5. Jungiii macrumors member

Dont mean to hijack OP, just have a question about iStat Pro. The last time i checked it, there was a charge of around 16-20$ i believe, but i just checked again and it seems to be free. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks !

6. TomLopez macrumors newbie

iStat Pro is a free widget whereas iStat Menus (more complete soft) is something like 15$

7. zurichuk macrumors regular

Oops, It looks like shutdown imminent for me then ....

Attached Files:

• hot.jpg
      hot.jpg
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
  8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

9. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Hello

Thanks for your replies, I better ask my cosins to check it for me before they send it just in case

On apple supporting forums and youtube I found lots of ppl saying its not just the hot body of the mac , they said the mac freezes , coz the temps go above 100C So I better get it checked out

10. cvs macrumors member

cvs

I got the MBP 2011 when it 1st came out and it was never getting too hot even when playing Starcraft 2.

But now that the Summer temperatures have kicked in it gets really hot, although never above 100 C, even when doing less demanding things, with a forced use of the intel GPU only. It seems to be affected a lot more that I would expect by the room temperature...

But I have the same problem with all my electronics at summertime, heck I even have a heat problem with my organic body under those temps :)

11. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

temp?

what is your room temp in summer?

I live in Iraq and the summer is pretty hot usually above 40C

12. aeneid macrumors member

Don't worry about heat being an issue. I watch YouTube videos for hours at a time sometimes, and I've never noticed it getting hot. There should be no reason for it to freeze up on you if you are doing everything right. I use Safari with the flash installed, never had it freeze on me. I've played L4D on highest settings, and the fan turns on, and IDK what the temp read but when I put my hand on the bottom of it, it is always bearable. Never had it get so hot where it burns me. At times I'll sit in bed and place it on my sheets where the fans can't suck in air, and it'll still be cool enough to keep your hand there. I've seen no issues at all, and if there are issues it's usually device specific, or some kind of malfunction. Hope this helps.

Cheers

13. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I think that there is a mismatch between the design of the MBP and the heat put off by the i5/i7 processors.

With all due respect to the experts on this thread, my other laptops don't get nearly this hot, but that is because their are bigger, have larger fans (that are quieter, BTW) and more room for air flow.

The MBP will truly benefit from the newer processors that are coming out in the next year or two.

I also agree that they won't typically "over heat", but I can run games and more demanding software on my PC laptops much more comfortably than my MBP.

My MBP has a clear benefit and function for mobile office work, web browsing, video watching, etc. I love it, but I know its limitations.

R

14. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I have the 2010 model and have not had any problems with mine and know people with a 2011 that have no heating problem also.

15. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

temp?

Till what temp is normal for web browsing and maybe a skype video call? or usign some Adobe products such as photoshop and Illustrator?

16. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

My only other i7 laptop was an HP Envy 17. It's i7 was only 1.6GHz and it ran hotter than my MBP with the 2.2GHz i7. I've never had to remove my MBP from my lap to avoid burns like I did with the HP.

17. Awjvail macrumors 6502

I was going to say "if there is an overheating problem, the Apple warranty is international so there is no need to worry"... but I doubt Apple provides warranty service in Iraq.

18. EVO9Nate macrumors member

No issues with mine… Not saying that it isn't happening, just saying that it isn't happening to me…

:D:apple:

19. 2ndname macrumors member

What's normal temp on the 13" MBP 2011 base model?
    IStat is telling me that my CPU temp is running at 108 degrees IDLE!!!???

20. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I assume it's in Fahrenheit, which is fine. If it was Celsius, it would have already shut down.

21. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Yes, all 2011 MBPs run a little warm (and the edges are a little sharp), yet they are still the best laptops you can buy. Nothing is perfect, but I've never owned a laptop as close to perfection as this. I'm a total MBP convert right now.

Polbit

22. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

MBP's can get warm, sometimes hot. It all depends on how and where it's used. I've seen some users use their MBP's on blankets which may interfere with air circulation, however if you're talking about just sitting on a desk, then I've seen them get warm but not hot where it starts to feel like it's burning your hands.

23. 2ndname macrumors member

You're right, just checked the settings after installing the software, lol.

24. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You're right about most Macs overheating and the built in thermal protection but if you're suggesting that it is okay to let any piece of electronics run up close to its maximum temperature, that is not good advice.

To answer the OP's original question, mine does not overheat. For what it's worth runs cooler than my 2008 Penryn (non-unibody). The Penryn was by no means cool but given the 10W TDP increase and turbo boost, I think the new ones are quite alright unless you get a lemon.

25. encomium23 macrumors newbie

Using istat pro to monitor I just loaded 50+ apps, 2 games and converted / processed 2hr tracks in garage band all at once. temp got to 87C and the fans spun up to 5500rpm.

Everything worked great.

Closed all applications and within a minute the fans dropped off and CPU temp was already back to 50C...

Perfect :)