Do all MPB models come with the black boarder around the screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 03sho, Oct 20, 2010.

1. 03sho macrumors 6502a

I've seen some mid 2010 MBP with whire/silver boarders. imo the black looks wayyy better.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i was just gonna write, my mbp has a silve border lol

4. 03sho thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the MBP only comes in a silver boarder with the antiglare screen?

The high res and normal screen is black boarder.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, only the anti glare option has that silver border, as the black border is part of the glossy glass, which is missing from the anti glare versions, as the glass is the one (including light) the glare.

6. DJ-R macrumors regular

Black Border spec:
    • Material: Glass with inner black paint at the border just like iPhone / iPod Touch.
    • Reflective (Glossy).
    • Darker black tone.

Silver Border spec:
    • Material: Aluminum laser cut.
    • Perfect for Print designs. Pure color 1 on 1 color from prints.
    • No Glare!

Anti-Glare type Advantage over Glossy

You save more Energy = Battery last longer!
    How? Okay, let say you're in a office room. With Glossy, you would NOT lower your brightness to the lowest because it will produce glare like a mirror. With Anti-Glare you could keep lowering to the lowest and you are still able to see the screen with more power saving.

Anti-Glare screen type has stronger frame than Glossy!
    WHY? Anti-Glare border frames are made of Aluminum instead of Glass material. Glass material will shattered if there is a hard impact even you have pouch / layer / bumpers. That is also why they cannot be black frame. Because it is aluminum! Stop asking Apple to make it black. They won't paint the surface with paint because you will scratch them off later. Or wear it off.

Anti-Glare screen type is lighter than Glossy!
    WHY? HOW? wtf!
    Aluminum frame VS complete covered glass surface? Think, which one weights more. Isn't Aluminum the 2nd lightest material beside Titanium?

This is why I am so HAPPY with Anti-Glare. As long you don't touch the screen surface. Same for Glossy, you don't want finger prints on the surface do you?

Anti-Glare wins but you need to pay more for it.

7. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I am stuck in a the age old question of glossy vs. matte. I like the look of the glossy (black border) but want the hi res non glossy. Decisions decisions.

8. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i like the idea of the anti glare screens but i like the black border on my 13in to bad u could not have both

9. DJ-R macrumors regular

Also... do you know why MacBook Air won't have glass display?
    - Lighter
    - More battery life
    - Stronger body on a super thin notebook

*yes the screen is a bit glossy I believe but it isn't worse as the Glass glossy.

10. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I love the idea of an anti-glare screen, but I don't really like the idea of the upped resolution. Doesn't the increased resolution for the same screen size (15") hurt your eyes?

The toolbars, icons, and default 12 point font would be impossible to see (Even if you are wearing glasses or have perfect vision.) and damage your eyes faster.

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

It's fine. I can't speak for the 17 inch High-res model though. But the 15 inch High res is great.

12. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Stock 12-point font is still too small to be readable though. :|

13. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

FWIW I have bad eyesight and just updated to the HRAG screen. AT times the text can be too small but overall the extra real estate is very nice and preferable. Also, I was extremely hesitant about getting the AG b/c the black border on the glossy looks so good. I am very happy with the AG and the look of the silver border is growing on me.

14. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I'm not in the print industry and I do a lot of show/movie/video watching at night, along with most of my MBP use being after work hours, therefore, the hi-res glossy is best for me, and produces a much better picture quality with deeper blacks and vibrant colors than the anti-glare screen hands down.

The glare is also over emphasized by some. What I mean is most of the time if the glare really bothers me all it takes is a minute adjustment of the screen tilt angle or the whole MBP and it's gone. Most of the time 1/2-3/4 screen brightness is enough to wash out most of the glares I get around the house, so it's not like anyone with a glossy screen needs to live with brightness at max full time. Of course, this will be influenced by how much glare bothers you, we're all different. People that have a plasma tv at home can use it to get an idea of what it's like, as I believe all plasmas have glass displays.

15. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Not for me. Keep in mind that everything is better defined and smoother, so it's not the same as seeing it downsized at the standard resolution. Think of it like the iPhone retina display vs old non-retina display. Of course, everyone's vision is different (near sighted, far sighted, etc.). For me, a blurry image strains my eyes more than a hi-def one, even if the hi-def one is a bit smaller. It's also nice to have the extra on-screen real estate to work with. And you can adjust the size of the dock (and the icons on the dock with it) and zoom in on web browsers and other word/pic doc formats, if you need to - you can even zoom in on the whole desktop in general (command or option button, I forget which, with 2 finger scroll). Go to an apple store and compare one to the other, they usually have at least one hi-res display kicking around.

16. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I wish they would make the black rubber around the antiglare screen silver to match the aluminium, just would make it look nicer