Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
All MacBook Pro series have this problem since day 1 due to horrible cooling design.

If you want a cooler laptop, get something else.
But something that do bothers me is the CPU downclock to maintain the temperature, which is quite annoying while doing any CPU intensive stuff. Forcing it to run without limit will result overheat shutdown.

DT39

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I have been using InsomniaX with lid closed over night. Used for doing downloads of large files and torrents etc... with no problems ;)

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I would not obsess too much over heat unless there is obviously something wrong such as the computer shutting down due to overheating, your fans are not spinning, etc. Keep in mind that since the unit is made of aluminum, it will transfer more heat so you will feel more of it than you would using, say, a plastic or "polycarbonate" laptop.

Aug 5, 2012
The rMBP is dogged with issues... I would avoid until next gen is released

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
All MacBook Pro series have this problem since day 1 due to horrible cooling design.

It is more because Apple does not want to bother the user with fan noise until 72ºC+. PC's usually have less a threshold set. You can alter this with applications. Apple cooling designs have changed markedly from 1,1 Core Duo to rMBP. Blanket statement not accurate. Go to iFixit and see the pics. 1 pipe, 2 pipe, maglev, ball bearing, in line, asymmetrical fan, copper sink, aluminum, side vent, back vent, checkerboard intake, etc. The only static is that Apple will not rev the fans in software until a higher than normal value. It isn't the cooling it is THEM. I mean the 1,1's were terrible and they all get slightly better from there. Die shrinks help as well.

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
Mine runs pretty cool (2.3Ghz base). It heats up while playing games, but not so hot i can't have it on my lap. Compared to my old 2009 MBP 13" it runs cooler, and i removed dust from the 13" over the years.

People also reporting zero GPU throttling compared to the 2011 MBP 15" So the improved thermals do more than make up for the smaller form factor

I've never experienced the high cpu usage on everyday tasks some people complain about either, typically around 0-5% Usage

I call bs on alot of it... Speaking of, I never had any issues with the iPhone 4 antenna...

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Or are the stories overblown?

I play battlefield 3 for hours w the fan blowing full throttle and sure its gets hot but why stress over it? Use the damn thing like you want. It's like people you see that buy sports cars but drive them like smart cars.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

overblown!

The rMBP, even if it does heat up doing intensive CPU stuff, will cool down really quick too!

Nothing to worry about :)

Oh, and I've been using Caffeine on the rMBP [ Active for : Indefinitely ] since day 1 !! No issues!

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

Stories are not overblown.

You shouldn't use any MBP (except for the classic non-unibody ones) in clamshell with either Caffeine or No Sleep and try to run processor-intensive applications. It's because the computer has a MUCH HARDER time trying to vent hot air when the display is closed.

To be more specific, air vents are directly where the screen hinge is. Once you close the hinge, you block the vents, and consequently, the ability of the computer to dissipate heat. This has been a problem since the introduction of the unibody design.

The all aluminum body can still dissipate some heat, but if people try to insulate it by putting on full-body skins or leather or stickers, etc... then the ability of the aluminum body to transmit heat is significantly hampered.

I have used many unibody MacBooks and came to this conclusion. Basically, if you can't stand leaving your expensive gear naked without any full-body protection, then absolutely avoid operating it in clamshell. If you absolutely must operate in clamshell, do try to limit your activity, and do try to leave the body as naked as possible.

If the rMBP is used like any laptop should be used (screen propped up at a comfortable angle with your line of sight), then there shouldn't be any concern about heat.

In fact, I'd say the rMBP has the best cooling system I have seen on a portable device... ever... when it's operated like a normal laptop, that is.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My doesn't get hot unless I'm doing processor or GPU intensive stuff.

And I use Caffeine all the time without any issues. What does cause issues for me is gfxCardStatus.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
i mustve gotten the magic one.. because my rmbp runs a LOT cooler than my classic did. everyday surfing and file management and it barely gets warm. the thermals on the retina have been greatly improved upon. its really noticable to me. my classic would routinely feel like the side of a coffee pot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.