Do all RMBP with LG Display have Image Retention

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsen4961, Dec 14, 2012.

1. bsen4961 Guest

I am looking to purchase a RMBP i just wondered if all Retina Macbook Pro with LG have Image retention.

So if you have a RMBP with an LG display could you report if it has Image retention and how long you have had it?

Thanks

2. Jedi, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

I need the same question answered , will explain later ;)

So please help as best you can , thanks :D

Later , Happy Holidays :D :) :D ( maybe )

Gary 

PS: From all my research I have done the last 2 weeks it`s pretty much 50/50.
    Therefor we need some real experts , like you guy`s , to give us the rundown !!

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If you do a search you will find dozens of threads on this.

The answer is, NO. Not all LG rMBPs have screen issues.

Samsung rMBPs have screen issues too you know.

4. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

No, all LG screen will not have this problem. I've had mine for months with no issues. Like another person said, Samsung screens have their own problems.

Also, don't look for problems. Deal with them only if they pop up. The checkerboard tests and all of that other nonsense is ridiculous. Buy the machine, use it, enjoy it. Apple is great with customer service. If you do have an issue, they'll fix it.

Think about it. You could exchange 5 rMBP's and finally get that Samsung screen. But maybe there are dead pixels. Or the GPU goes bad. Or.......

If the one your order arrives with no issues then keep it.

5. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I bought a 15" rMBP with Samsung screen, no issues. I then bought a 13" rMBP; it had bad IR from day 1. I don't know which screen it had, the EDID info appears to be masked on the 13". I took that 13" back and got another 15" and the 2nd 15" has a LG screen. I'm on day 4 now and no IR shows up at all. I run extreme contrast tests and it never shows IR problems. Maybe some will show later, I just don't know. If it does I'll make Apple replace the screen. By all indications, people who've had IR show up months later have mostly been successful in getting Apple to replace the screens so I'm not worried. If I run into IR and I go to the Apple store and they say no to a replacement, I'll just call Apple and get them to override the store. People do this successfully too.

6. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I would say yes. The are several problems with that:
    1. Most people don't care and won't notice IR in their daily work
    2. Most people would think it's normal because it fades away after several seconds
    3. Most IR develops after 3-4 months, so people are happy with their machines at the beginning and cry later

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No, not all LG displays have the problem, and as for #2 - it *is* indeed a problem with IPS panels as a whole - just not to the extend that some LG displays have, but this has been hammered to death in several threads around here.

IMO, if you get a good one, it's actually a better panel than the Samsung, even though it isn't as bright.

The general consensus is - LG: More likely to have IR, Better blacks/colour reproduction/contrast, Samsung: More likely to have dead pixels and white spots, brighter, whiter whites. Again, this is subjective but based on general consensus of the displays. Either way, just enjoy your machine :)

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I bought a base model 15" rMBP and it had an LG screen with no issues at all and I loved it. I returned it because I wanted 16GB ram, so I placed an order and got a Samsung screen with no issues at all. I DID prefer the LG panel because it had better colors and contrast.

9. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I agree that all LG screens have IR but some have it worse then others, some may have it but never notice it.

To reply to your list of problems
    1. Agree.. some people barely have IR and would only notice it if they did the checkerboard test like me.. no other way..
    3. Mine hasnt gotten any worse and I have had it since the beginning. There isnt any proof in this 3-4 month, 2-3 month, etc crap.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

How can you agree to all the LG panels having IR when you CANNOT test them all lol. Wow.... people never cease to amaze.

11. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

They call it statistics, and based on the fact that Apple is replacing to Samsung displays after IR problems with LG, means that this problem is severe enough to put a finger on.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

True, however it DOESNT mean every single panel made had issues lol. You're so ignorant it amazes me.

I had an LG and it had 0 IR issues.

13. leman macrumors 604

If you can't notice it in your daily work than the display is perfectly fine.

14. StefanYFC macrumors member

Not sure about everyone else but mine sure as **** does. Sad to say that I've basically just gotten used to it..

I don't do anything truly important or world saving on it anyway, aside from writing code for my System Analyst class.

If it helps, I ordered mine in August.

15. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Won't notice = don't know what IR means and why it's there.

16. tillsbury macrumors 65816

No, I can say for certain they don't all have this problem. It would of course be interesting to know what percentage do, but I'd guess it was a lot closer to 1% than the 20% you might guess from all the trolling on this forum.

17. leman macrumors 604

If it does not impact the performance of the machine or the user experience in any way, it is not an issue. Even if all LG screens inherently suffer from IR, as long as this IR is only seen in an artificial stress test which in no way replicates real world conditions, the display is performing to its specifications as far as I am concerned.

18. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I have an LG display and no IR, you could have easily found this out without a new thread.

Had it since the release.

19. SchuettS macrumors 6502

You sure do get amazed easily.

One should not have to test every single panel if they arent manufacturing them differently or using different materials.

You had 0 IR issues, great.. doesnt mean you didnt have IR. I have IR but its not an "issue" because I cant notice it without that stupid test.

Does a bear crap in the woods? Just because you dont see it doesnt mean its not there. Like I said it can be so minute that a person cant even notice it, but there still can be IR.

Its the technology LG uses that creates IR that is "normal" according to Apple. Apple is pretty much saying LG's have IR and to deal with it if it isnt severe.

What did LG do differently to a week 33 (for example) screen with IR and a week 33 screen supposedly without IR? Nothing.

20. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

LG's all have it, either sooner or later. My samsung display is pretty much the same thing as the LG. I've had both...you just need to adjust the samsung display once you get it, pretty easy to do when you open up the options.

Samsung = no stuck pixels = no IR > > > LG = IR.

21. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Couldnt agree more.

22. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

LG display here. No IR, thank goodness! Flawless computer.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, that's a standard bodily function; it should be better compare to say does your Mac use electricity to work.

If you want to bear analogy, perhaps does the bear have spots?

24. iPersian macrumors regular

yes

all LGs either have or will have issues.

just saw another LG at school with IR today. its my 7th LG ive seen with IR.

25. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

You should be careful with blanket statements. Due to a vocal minority saying they have it you cannot then extrapolate that they all have it. You'd need a comprehensive study to be able to make that claim without seeming like you're jumping to conclusions and just spreading gossip.

I've seen posts from several people who say their LG screens don't have it and they've had them for over 3 months now. I had an LG screen that did have it and it was BAD and the next one didn't have it at all and still doesn't. Will it show up later? Maybe.

Only one thing can be said for dead certain, at least some LG screens do have it.

A lot of different things could be going on here. LG may have had a bad batch that is now exhausted. LG could have several assembly lines and only one is doing something that is causing this problem on the screens it outputs. There may have been a bad batch of chemicals going through the production line for awhile. Or maybe you're right and they all develop it eventually, some sooner, some later. There's just no way anyone knows the truth except perhaps a handful of engineers at LG who aren't talking for fear of losing their jobs if they uttered a word about it.