Do all the Mac Pro 1,1's hard drive bays have the same bus speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Apr 11, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

I am just wondering whether or not the HDD bays in the original Mac Pro all have the same bus speed. I have multiple HDs, besides my main one, and I want them ALL to run just as well as the main one does.

So would I still be seeing the same speeds from others, compared to my main HD? (Assume that each disk is identical and would only be affected by the bus.)

-Thanks

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Yes.

These words after my answer are because the MacRumors Rules says that one word posts are not allowed. By typing these useless two sentences I have conformed to the MacRumors Rules.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I was slapped on the wrist for that once. Okay, thanks for your answer.

4. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Not only that, but they are all on the same controller and therefore share in the pool of bandwidth which does not result in "300MB/sec for each" but rather less than even 800MB, such that using three old SATA II SSD's can saturate the bandwidth.

Using an SSD for system, maybe even moving it to PCIe card or controller insures that the 4 x SATA II drive bays can be independent and used for spinning drives.

That matters to me as disk I/O tends to be a bottleneck, and SSDs for as little as $65 can make a big improvement.

Not all drives are the same and capacity results in 4TB drives (or larger) offering better performance than say 1TB units.

The XP941, the newest addition in mine is bootable in 1,1.

5. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Alright, thanks for further explaining things. I actually put a new Samsung Evo into this thing, but I took it out later and put it in my laptop, as this thing badly needed it. It could be a possibility later on, though, that I put one in here as well. SATA II ones are hard to distinguish, as most vendors are selling SATA III SSDs. Do you think PCI would be the way to go? I think for compatibility reasons, I'd just get a SATA III SSD (far less trouble than searching for a SATA II one) and could put it into any machine later on, if need-be.

6. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

The EVO 850 alone would make a big improvement if you didn't see already not sure why.

PCIe - I think only Apricorn Velocity line is it, Sonnet Tempo SSD for data but not bootable, and same for most others.

XP941 costs, but works in any Mac Pro as a boot device and has the fastest IO.

You don't even want "old tech" SSDs, those that are SATA II. But native drive bay with one it is not just the 250MB/sec but zero latency and seeks, high IO queue - system benefits from high read IOs.

SSD replaced my WD 10K VR which replaced the Raptor which replaced 15K SCSI. My MDD was all SCSI with ATTO UL3S, UL3Ds and both 15K (system) and 10K (data array).