Do any Businesses Big or Small use PowerPC Mac's in 2016?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RamCpu, Aug 11, 2016.

1. RamCpu macrumors member

If so what models of computer do they use? and what do they use them for?, or if any of you know why a business stopped using powerpc macs would be helpful thanks!

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Pueblo Publishers, Inc. Glendale, Arizona.

1. PowerMac G4 350 PCI - used as an Applescript server (headless) and automated photo processor.
    2. PowerMac G4 400 AGP - used to control #1 and as a print server.
    3. PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz (Single Processor) - used to design ads, layout newspaper pages, compose legals and classified sections, produce marketing materials and publish two weekly newspapers along with monthly and quarterly publications.

We use a wide range of Adobe software up to CS4, Acrobat 9, Suitcase Fusion 2 and Office 2008.

I use a MacPro, but that was because the G5 'died' three years ago (I brought it back).

3. RamCpu thread starter macrumors member

interesting so, is this only for a local newspaper / new service ?

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

http://www.glendalestar.com
    http://www.peoriatimes.com

We are the newspaper of record for the City of Glendale, Arizona and the newspaper of record for the City of Peoria, Arizona.

We've published The Glendale Star weekly since 1952 and the Peoria Times weekly since 1980. I've been there since 2004.

We also publish the Pulse and Progress, which are monthly publications for the Glendale Chamber of Commerce and the Peoria Chamber of Commerce that are inserted in our Star and Times newspapers (respectively).

Monthly, we handle the production of the newsletters for the City of El Mirage and the City of Youngtown. Quarterly, advertorials (composed and designed by me) are published - Career and Education and Health and Wellness (which I just sent to the printer yesterday). And lastly, we publish quarterly the newspaper for the Fighter Country organization which supports Luke Air Force Base.

So, that's what we do and those three Macs are integral to supporting it all. Without the Applescript server I would be forced to move proofs to the reps manually, organize the reps email attachments (saved to our server) manually and process editorial photos manually (which can take some time). Without the second G4 I could not print from the MacPro and without the G5 my coworker could not help me (we use too many fonts that are platform dependent).

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm full time in academia, and specifically in Chemistry.

On a personal level, I do a lot of exam writing on my G5 Quad. The reason for that is that I can't afford a new copy of CS Chem Draw, and the only versions I have are PPC native. I have an SL VM on my laptop, but it's a lot easier to just do the work directly on the G5.

I also sometimes do the same on a G3 Beige "Beast." It's a computer that was given to me, but has a 15K UW SCSI drive and a 1ghz/1mb Sonnet. The person who built it put in a Sonnet USB/FW card along with a Radeon 7000. I upgraded the video card to a Radeon 9200. The computer dual boots Tiger and OS 9, and runs both well, but I primarily use it in OS 9.

I have a spectral data processing program and I can't really find anything comparable-it's quite a powerful program and amazingly compact. It's actually 68K native, and I've run it on my 512Ke from an 800kb floppy. It's primarily run, however, on the aforementioned beige G4.

Although 68K, I often type letters on my 512Ke. It's a nice and distraction free place to work. Both the 512Ke and G4 beige(along with a couple of other computers, including a B&W G3) are connected to my in-office LocalTalk network which has a Laserwriter Select 360 on it. So, I can print from all of these computers on that printer.

Elsewhere in the department, one of our faculty members has a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectrometer that requires a PCI PowerMac running OS 9 natively. Actually, we've pushed the boundaries beyond what the manufacturer said and are running it on 9.2.2 but OS X in any for is out of the question.

Also, interestingly enough, we've more or less found the high end of processor speed. I should actually say that it won't run on a 745x processor. After the PSU in the Digital Audio G4 he was using died, I swapped over to a Quicksilver that was in the room. When we did that, we couldn't get it working. The computer would instruct the instrument to send pulses(which we could see on an oscilloscope) and the instrument would output an FID(also seen on the scope). The computer, however, couldn't see it. Installing the 466mhz card from the DA "fixed it"

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

We have an old G3 iMac sitting in the corner of our server room. Its only job is to play ambient office like music in there. Went in to make the server room more fun. It's running 10.3.9 and iTunes shuffles around the music. Hasn't been restarted since ~2006. There's also about 20 or so random PowerMac G5's in use throughout the office as benches. They work really well for that and last I checked, they're still fully functional as well.

7. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

There's an old full service shipping store by my house that uses an MDD to control a cheap printer/scanner which can be used for free. They also offer a higher quality solution for a price, but 99% of the time I'm scanning there, its on the MDD.

In my office we don't have any PPC processors, but we do have a neat PC in a G3 case that is currently running Windows 10 and Arch. It's used for some server admin, but mostly Total War and now No Man's Sky.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have one question for you: do the Youngrens run the City of Youngtown? :D;)

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If we did…well…things would be done differently. Our editorial assistant would have her content on time, every time for instance, no running full page ads on the front page, etc, etc. :)

Beyond that, well, Youngtown is a retirement community that was forced to lift age restrictions when the grandmother of a 16 year old sued to allow her daughter to continue living there.

Now, if you could get the Eric Youngren who works as a sales associate for a brewery in Seattle to stop using my name (got the front door code from his friends for their jaunt in Vegas once) and Earnest Youngren to stop using my email address (Netflix and X-Finity registrations) I'd be more than happy to settle for that power. :D

My name is a bit more common than you may think. :D

Ask Youngren Construction in San Diego and Erik Youngren who lives in Los Angeles - oh and yeah, the other Erik Youngren somewhere in the midwest. :D

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@eyoungren Quite the post you have there, Mr. Youngren! :D:rolleyes:

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You tend to notice people with your name when it's not common (but not rare either). :)

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

There use to be four people in town who shared my mom's first and last(married) name. Those of you who know my name may also know that while variations are common, my particular spelling is not. One of the one's sharing my mom's name is my dad's cousin(through a marriage to his first cousin) so she is related to my mom. They also both worked for state government, albeit in different branches, and frequently got each others calls at work.

Granted, aside from the last name, my mom's first name was I think #3 on the social security girl's most common names list for the year she was born, and was consistently in the top ten(with a few #1 spots) for about 15 years from the late 1940s to early 1960s. So, there are quite a few people around who share her first name.

One of the other people sharing my mom's name in town died about 15 years ago, and my mom got the "I thought you were dead" response when she saw an acquaintance a few years later.

13. weckart macrumors 601

Some town planner clearly had a sense of humour.

14. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Sort of. :D

Nearby is Sun City and Sun City West. Both Del Webb retirement community developments. Del Webb dominated that market for a while. But there is an entrance age restriction to buy a home in both communities.

Youngtown was so named because the development has (had) a lower entrance age than Sun City and Sun City West. Hence…Youngtown. :)

15. bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

My use of PPC are:
    1) Stand-alone: Office, email, group-fax, data-collection&server (DEVONthink), web-browsing, YT-video download, "access-point" to other machines (RDP/ScreenSharing; FileSharing/FTP/webDAV/connect to server), ...
    personally: iTunes, connect old DV-camcorder to save old videos via FireWire/iMovie, eyeTV ...
    2) Client-Computer for RemoteDesktop/VNC (for Windows-Server) or ScreenSharing (for all Macs). A bunch of 5 old Macs replaced 5 Win workstations (add the cost of 5 Win-Server lincences) and save me 5 quarterly updates of both business software and regular windows-updates/maintainance...
    3) Meetings: one PPC sitting close and connected to the beamer creating an hotspot - second PPC for ScreenSharing of the beamer-PPC. (Old PPC hardware = no new viruses from attached USB-sticks)

16. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

At Lassen PC in Susanville...

We have a Mac mini G4 for radio/Spotify and that is really all it does. Every other machine in the office has a Sandy Bridge i5 or newer.

17. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I had PowerPC's running all the music at the bowling alley until last year. My old B&W G3 is back behind the pinsetters for referencing documents and for iChatting with the front counter.

In my little computer shop PowerPCs do everything. iMac G4 1GHz is my POS system, Performa 6115 is a print server for a LaserWriter Select 360, My office in there has the Quad G5, 20" iMac G4, and Cube setup for different tasks, and finally, I use a Newton MessagePad 2000 for invoicing and sending faxes. I often joke that I might be the last person anywhere that actually still uses a Newton for real work.

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If there are any PCs at all in your shop (or for anyone else interested) there is IP Messenger.

I found this app in 2004 when I needed a way for the Macs and PCs in our shop to be able to direct message without having to force everyone to create Yahoo or AOL IDs and then keep them active. IP Messenger sits in the menubar on Mac and in the status tray on Windows. Completely unobtrusive when you add it as a startup item.

Works simply by using your user account (you can rename it) and you can send files with it too.

Direct Mac link: http://ishwt.net/en/software/ipmsg/

19. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Oh I like the looks of that! Might have to give it a try. iChat and Messages over Bonjour isn't as reliable as iChat to iChat used to be.

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I use Adium and Pidgin for Bonjour IM on Mac, Windows, and Linux machines. Both work really well and have loads of nifty addons.

21. Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

We have a G3 minitower that runs the fluorescent in situ hybridization imaging microscope

22. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

My dentist used to have ~20 PowerPC Macs for editing the database with patients, consults, etc (there was one next to every dental chair). Most of them were G3 iMacs, but there were two iMac G4s and an eMac. All of them were running Mac OS 9. Unfortunately, last time I went there they had replaced all the Macs with AIO PCs.

Needless to say, I need a new dentist.

23. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I actually did a new HDD for a minitower that was also running a fluorescence microscope a while back. It wasn't at the university where I work, but as a favor to a friend at another university(who had somehow gotten pulled into working on it even though he didn't use it).

24. Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

Ours is reaching the end of its serviceable life. However its quite funny that its the capacitors that are going in the scopes PSU not any fault of the minitower!

25. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

My last eye doctor had an iMac G4 running a slideshow/check in kiosk.