Do any fitness apps work in conjunction with the Activity rings?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ra4oasis, Jul 7, 2015.

1. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

As the title says, I'm wondering if any fitness apps come into play with the Watch's built in activity rings (the blue, green, and red rings)? I know the rings of course work with the built in apps, such as the running app, but I'd love it for Runkeeper, and or/Mywellness (which works with my gym's equipment) to show that I've worked out via the activity rings.

The reasoning behind this is I'll go to the gym, and lift weights, whatever, do non-cardio stuff, and while Mywellness knows I've worked out, the Watch activity rings still show nothing. IF third parties can talk to the activity app, I'll get with the Mywellness people and see if they plan on integrating this sort of thing in the future. Does all that make sense?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The Apple watch is somewhat lacking when you do multiple sports. Standing part is not a problem the rest depend on your HR. Unless you get your HR up to s specific level the watch will not count it as exercise. The Apple watch is kinda of trying to be a jack or all trades and the much touted fitness thing was over done in my opinion. The fitness app can really use some attention and is somewhat basic compared to a dedicated fitness device and software.

Apple is not know for integrating with others software. The software makers will have to integrate it around Apple as it is their show!

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

My dream is that Apple acquires Fitbit and then moves away from Workout/Activity/Health to Fitbit's vertically integrated infrastructure. That's probably not going to happen. So no, for a while yet anyway, there are no fitnesss tools that integrate with Apple.

4. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure the part about heart rate is completely true. Not that I disagree completely. I "think" it comes down to arm swing more than anything. I went for a 30 minute walk at roughly 3.7mph with full arm swing and no workout running and I got credited with 30 minutes and about 200 calories. That would fit the brisk walk theory. However, I also went for a walk with my wife at about 2.7 mph with full arm swing and got credit for 28 out of 30 minutes. So I am not sure about heart rate.

Does it even measure your heart rate with version 1.0.1 if your arms are moving? Makes me believe it is more arm moving back and forth to measure.

Not certain but that makes sense.

Also, I think the person wants to know if apps work with the rings - correct? I want to know.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Hate to pop that bubble but your arm swing does not trigger the watch into recording your actions as exercise. You can take off running and only when you HR escalates to a certain point will the watch note it as exercise. Many here are giving the watch more intelligence that is has. If not in an exercise mode the watch can and will deliberately NOT read your HR if you move your arm.