Do any intel imacs have bad capacitor issue?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dagogo, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dagogo macrumors newbie

My G5 imac just died by way of bad capacitors. I sent the logic board to badcaps.net and had them replaced but it still doesn't work so I am giving up on it. I am thinking about buying a used imac because the 17" screen size works well in our kitchen.

Does anyone know if any of the early intel imacs share the same bad capacitor issue as the G5's?

Obviously I want to avoid a similar problem or any other problematic imac models.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If my memory serves me right, some of the pre-Intel iMacs did have a problem with electrolytic caps in the power supply. These can usually be easily identified because they bulge out of shape or, in extreme cases, rupture. Provided one was handy with a soldering iron, they were not too difficult to replace.

I don't remember problems with the logic board. This is understandable because of the low voltages in this part of the circuit.

3. Ganesha macrumors regular

Shipping iMacs all use LED backlights these days.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

LED≠capacitor...

5. MacHamster68, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the early intel iMac's dont have bad capacitors , but a far away from trouble free ...
    graphics card's , displays, logicboards ,powersupplys are only some of the problem zones , if you want to know more , just search the forum and you wont get disappointed on the search for problems , or just look ebay and you will find the most common are stripes on the display happening at around the age of 3
    so if you want a white intel iMac , get one where the problems already happened and got repaired under apple care like i did , because i too love the 17" , anything else is a still expensive gamble ... and try to get one of a certified apple repair technician or from a "shop" that knows Mac's , careful at ebay , lots of people out there who want to get rid of "their" iMac in favor of a new working one , ok there are honest ebayer's out there somewhere sometimes , but just keep in mind its your money , you know how hard you worked for it ;)
    , and dont get fooled by adds like " 1000s worth of software installed " but not a single disc or product key of the installed software ...so absolute worthless and more likely torrent downloads

but to be fair no electronic device will last forever , not even a Mac ....ok my twentieth Anniversary Mac is working as new and already 13years old so is my PowerMac 5500/275 , My iMac G3 700mhz too does not show any signs of breaking down soon and is nearly 10 years old ..touch wood

my intel iMac core duo build in 2006 shipped in 2007 is a prime example , in the last month of apple care he got a new display, a new powersupply,a new logicboard incl.graphics card as the graphic card is soldered on the logicboard , a new optical drive and a new harddrive , so internally apart from some wires and cables is just about a year old now :) and i bought it of a trustworthy apple certified repair technician , it was pampered all its life with absolute no signs of any wear and i payed near half what some at ebay are asking

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:) I've got the same box and it is still going strong never had any issues with it. The Time Capsules definitely had the bad cap syndrome, so Apple's suppliers are not immune to a bad batch.

B

7. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

sure there are really good flawless working intel core duo and core2duo 17" iMac's out there , like there are good iMac G5's out there too,
    but you know the saying : a fool and his cash are soon parted , especially when it comes to iMac's ..the most popular Mac's
    and nobody can deny that there is a risk buying a used iMac , like there is a risk with buying anything used , the only difference is the price you have to pay for taking the risk

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Agreed 100%. And I shouldn't give the impression that it's flawless. Very rarely it doesn't wake from sleep and I've seen some rare graphics "anomalies" on very cold days. I'm fully prepared to replace the iMac with a refurb 21.5" when it finally gives up the ghost.

B

9. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes thats a good idea to be prepared for a replacement , repairs in most cases exceed the value or are far from economical , having said that , i would get it repaired , just because i love the white 17"iMac's design and size , but most important the matte display and everything is color matching around my Mac's , so a new iMac would lead to even more costs , replacing external display, harddrive caddies, even the desk lamp , because everything here is white , even the toaster in my officecorner