Do any of you edit Photos with your PPC mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TacticalDesire, Jul 10, 2012.

1. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

If so, what software do you use? Is it professional photo editing or just for home/personal use?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yep, Photoshop CS2 on the iMac and CS3(or 4, I forgot) on the G5.

3. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

4. drorpheus macrumors regular

yeah, Adobe CS1-4 will be able to do the trick.

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I do professionally, sometimes. PS CS3 on PB G4. I also use Illustrator and InDesign CS 3 on it – it's my main laptop.

6. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Photoshop 5.5

running in Classic, is all the Photoshop I will ever need. And, its a legal copy!

I learned Photoshop on 3.0, and even worked in desktop publishing for a bit (Aldus Pagemaker anyone?). No need for anything higher.

7. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I mostly edit with my intel Windows-PC since it gets along much better with my camera, but for smaller edits on random images I often use Photoshop (CS1) on my G5 and Seashore on my G4.

Edit: And even though I use CS4 in Windows I very much prefer the version I used back in school, 7.0!

8. TheLastNinja, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

TheLastNinja macrumors newbie

I use GIMP. You'll need to have X11 installed in order to use GIMP.
    http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

I've tried out Photoshop CS3, and perhaps I'm just too used to GIMP, but GIMP seems to be better than CS3 in some regards. I didn't get to use CS3 very much, so maybe I haven't messed around with it enough, but I prefer GIMP.

9. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Yes. I have Adobe PhotoShop 5.0, which runs perfectly on my 366 MHz clamshell iBook. I have a 1 GHz AlBook as well, which runs both CS3 and Gimp. I got both for free by having them pre-installed, and I would otherwise never have bought them. I definitely prefer 5.0 for what I do, even though it's occasionally buggy using the version of Classic Envir0nment in Mac OS X 10.1.

10. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

What kind of pictures do you work with?

11. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

They're very simple, really. I really only edit personal photos, usually simple things, like dragging and dropping stuff, though I occasionally try making animated .gif's on it. I've made manga comics in Manga Studio before, but since I switched from Windows and lost the install CD, I can't really do much with it. I've never really found a good open-source alternative for Manga Studio, and PhotoShop doesn't work as well for manga, so I think I might just buy another copy of it.

12. alexreich, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Definitely GIMP. Free, open source, and better than most of the other non-free products out there. You should try it. I mean hell, it's free! :D

Be sure to get the one for your particular OS I might add. I know there are Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard builds available, there may ones for earlier Mac OS X releases as well.

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

CS4 on the quad G5 system. Its my top dog with the most CPU power, RAM, and largest screen so there would be no point in trying to do it on my MacBook Pro. I do much more in Illustrator than Photoshop, but it works great.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes. As I need on my 1Ghz PowerBook using Photoshop CS1 and on my 1.67Ghz PowerBook using Photoshop CS4.

I use Photoshop CS4 every workday on my work G5. I can be doing anything from color correcting editorial photos to manipulating customer images for ads. Usually I am using CS4 in conjunction with Acrobat Pro 6 and 9 and PitStop Pro (a plugin for Acrobat) and less frequently Illustrator CS4.

Usually we get "camera ready" ads as a PDF. Often these are sent as proofs from another publication or the customer had a flyer done so they come as the wrong size and the wrong colorspace (the customer is running a black and white ad and they sent a 4 color or RGB PDF. If there are photos/images in the PDF I'm using CS4 to convert them/color correct them.

Some customers want stuff cut out of backgrounds, text added, removed, etc. The worst is when they want text added in the same font that was used originally (they have no idea what font was used) and all they sent was an RGB jpeg. So the type is rasterized with the background.

I once had our Ad Manager ask me if I could rotate the Re/Max balloon so that the type faced dead center. Aside from altering their trademarked logo how do your "rotate" a two dimensional graphic?!

15. Zeke D, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I use PS CS1, although I have had CS3 installed so I could use DW. I do all my photo editing and cover designs on CS with my eMac and now recently revived G5. Check out some of the simple stuff I've done:

Attached Files:

16. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Looks good. I take it your an author? Or an illustrator for one perhaps?

17. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I did these covers, they should all be published this year (with the exception of the Body Rentals Novella) I've been writing that one for three years now. My first short story should be published in a month or two. I am quite proud. If you are interested, my writing blog is at http://article94.blogspot.com

18. kevin242 macrumors member

another vote for photoshop cs3 on my Powerbook g4.

19. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

20. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yep, I use Photoshop CS4 Extended, Aperture 2, Photomatix Pro. And Paintbrush <3

Stick as much RAM in as you can.

21. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I use Photoshop CS on my PBG4. One of the problems is I shoot in RAW/NEF and have to convert the files into DNG inorder to do any editing. And many times I have had lots of photos that need editing. I'm going to have to upgrade to an Intel soon.

22. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I use Photomatix Pro to convert CR2 RAW files into a TIFF and then edit in PS, if that helps you at all :)

23. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I have a 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 on which I run Photoshop 5.0 in the classic environment. It's quite speedy and has pretty much all of the features that I use in newer versions of Photoshop. I do miss content-aware fill though.