iPad Do any of you guys use a wireless external drive?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Jan 8, 2015.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I'm considering one of the wireless drives like the WD my passport wireless, or the Seagate wireless plus.

Which wireless drive have you found to be the best and easiest to use; also, how is battery life?

Thank you

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

RAVPower FileHub

I have tried several of the external drives. I have settled with the RAVPower FileHub. It is basically a swiss army knife type device. Although it has no included storage, you can have a micro-SC card always installed and supplement it with a USB thumb drive or hard drive. It is an external charger, so along with the file hub it will recharge your device. Also if you are traveling and are in a hotel without Wi-Fi, you can use this to turn a wired internet connection into your own personal Wi-Fi hotspot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19JEZ56Q0A0J7VD3G0AH

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have a RAVPower too, but the big SD card version. They aren't pretty, but they get the job done. I haven't had it die on me in the middle of something yet. I use it to watch videos via Infuse, and use Documents by Readdle to look through it and pull stuff out. GoodReader can connect to it too.

I prefer the ability to be able to switch between cards because it makes it easier to add/remove data without being dependent on the USB wire. The biggest issue would be if the battery stopped working, but then you could just have it sitting in a socket.

The actual connection interface isn't that great either, but it's a small thing. It will do a passthrough to the wifi network so you can use the internet as normal while hooked up to it too.

4. Tommo66 macrumors newbie

I use the Seagate Wireless Plus. Battery life is good and great if you want to stream media from it.

5. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Does the Seagate wireless plus allow you to transfer all types of files between it and a iPad/MacBook?

Thank you

6. Tommo66 macrumors newbie

It does via the USB cable so the Mac would be OK. I'm not sure about wirelessly to the iPad as i haven't tried it. You can certainly copy to the iPad from the drive so it should work the other way as well.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have a Seagate Satellite wireless for iTunes media. The battery is good and the Seagate media app is so so but I have no complain anyway. :apple:

----------

I doubt it but there is YouTube video about how to hack Seagate wireless but I never tried it I can't risk of fried/brick my mobile wireless hard drive. :apple:

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I use a mobilelite wireless device. It doesn't have it's own internal storage but you can use it with SD/micro SD cards/USB sticks to steam content to your iOS devices. It's very easy to use and works well.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It would still be very nice if Apple would give us the ability to move and store files on our devices.